Filed under Sports

Athletics begin Fall Training and Competition

Sierra Nevada college is no longer just known as a ski and snowboard school. As of last year, the college added golf, soccer and cross-country to its roster.  New coaches and environments have challenged athletes to excel in their sport on a different level. The student body was more focused towards skiing and outdoor life until now, where people have changed that state of mind due to the new additions in sports.

Golf athletes have commented on how beautiful the courses are in the area and are excited to play on them. These athletes come from different backgrounds and various elevations, which is accentuating the struggle to adjust in Tahoe.

“I am using a nine iron from 170 yards out, when in reality, I will have to use an eight iron back home,” said Sophomore Eric Tanguay.

While the golfers are busy practicing their swings, the soccer team has been hard at work in hopes to make a name for themselves for a second year team.  Elevation has taken a toll on both sports and is pushing athletes to work harder and condition better in thin air.

“It’s hard to breathe sometimes when playing a full game,” said Sophomore Chris Poleto. “But my lungs are conditioning to it and helping my stamina to be more focused when I play.”

Cross country has a first hand in hard training in the elevation, as they will be a expecting a new coach who was the strength and conditioning coach for Sweden’s rugby team.

”The elevation definitely takes a toll on you, but it will help us in the long run when we face other colleges at lower elevations,” said cross country athlete Sam Conaway. “We have a leg up, let’s take advantage of that and show others that SNC has a strong team ready to compete.”

Overall, these teams are working hard to prove their name and progress athletics at the college. To see more on these athletes visit the SNC website to watch the video on student athletics progressing at SNC.

1 Comment

One Response to “Athletics begin Fall Training and Competition”

1. R. Tanguay on September 16th, 2016 9:24 am

Congrats eagles on a fine performance at the Running Y.
    Looking forward to great things this year.

Readem, roll em, & Hole em!!