New Classes

One downfall of going to a smaller school is fewer classes being offered. Sierra Nevada College is working hard to reverse this stigma. With a rather extensive array of unique classes, nearly every department has something new to offer this semester.  

The Business Department, which has been growing in popularity in the last three years, is now offering a new class, Product Marketing and Development, taught by business professor Grace Chou. That is not the only place on campus that is adding new stuff.

This semester will also see two brand new travel courses. If the warm Caribbean Islands sound like a great classroom, June Saraceno, chair of the english program, has the class for you.

“This fall we’re offering a Caribbean Travel Course (in Jamaica). The course fee is $3,500.00, which covers airfare, accommodations, ground travel (transport from airport to lodgings), and some meals,” said Saraceno. “If you don’t have plans for winter break, this class is something to look into.”

Travel courses are great ways to pick up some extra credits over week breaks or holidays. Being in the Caribbean learning about English is a pretty fantastic way to get some credits.

“The travel dates are January fourth to 4th to 12th and students can earn up to 6 units in classes focused on Caribbean literature and creative writing. Currently, no one is officially enrolled but there is significant student interest,” said Saraceno.

There is another travel course added to the curriculum. There is a new Travel Course to Italy taught by Pierre Miller, professor of Art History as well as a Graphic Design class taught by Kelly Wallis, professor of fine arts.

Psychology is offering a new special topics course called Psychology through Cinema.

The Science Department, in addition to reconfiguring the Environmental Degree, has added a new course. It is called Natural Resource Management taught by professor of science and technology John Umek.

“The course has 21 students enrolled, which is a lot for a Science course,” said Andy Rost, chair of Science Department

That is not the only new course in the Science Department: an Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems class is also being offered. The goal of this class is to educate students about plant propagation which entails everything from making the soil to eating the food. The class currently has nine students enrolled.

“One of the bigger goals is to just start producing food in here,” said Nick Babin, instructor of the Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems.

Whatever majors or interests may be the new courses have something for everyone and there is still time to add classes.