Filed under Campus, Staff Editorial

Staff Editorial: We’re feeling the “Bern”

The voting power that our generation possesses is enormous— but you wouldn’t know it by looking at the numbers. There are many reasons why members of the age demographic between 18 and 29 choose not to vote, including disenchantment with the limited, two-party political system, a suffocating electoral college or plain old apathy.

In Nevada specifically, only 42.5 percent of the younger population (18-29) voted in the 2012 presidential election, while 62.9 percent of the rest of the adult population turned up at the voting booth.

Partisanship in voters over 30 years of age skews toward the Republican Party, which peddles a more pro-corporate, pro-life and reactionary set of policies. These policies, which regularly attempt to block climate change legislation or emissions caps, limit or eliminate accessible reproductive healthcare for women and funnel subsidies and huge tax incentives and cuts to large corporations, are not conducive to creating a viable future for the members of our generation, our children, or our children’s children.

For this, and many other reasons, the Eagle’s Eye editorial staff endorses Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders for presidency.

Over the course of his decades-long political career, Sanders has advocated consistently for racial justice, gender equality, climate action, a departure from classical American interventionism and militarism, reformed relations with the corporate sphere and improved social safety nets and rights for Americans.

A vote for Sanders may not remake the world in a four-year span, but it is a crucial step in the right direction, and if we would like to work toward a world that may survive and learn from the current climate catastrophe, it may just help that vision become a reality.