Honor students prepare for conference at UNR

Honor Program students, for the first time, will attend the Western Regional Honors Conference. As students present academic research, schools and organizations find time for recruiting prospective collaborations.

“It’s big. It’s crazy big. There’s going to be lots of students there,” Associate Professor Robert King said. “Primarily colleges are recruiting students for grad school.”

A symposium held on March 23 at Sierra Nevada College, offered conference participants practice to the presentations that will be given at the big conference. On the University of Nevada Reno campus, at the Joe Crowley Student Union building, UNR will host the Western Regional Conference on April 10-12.

In the Tahoe Center for Environmental Sciences, 20 or more SNC community members filled room no. 139 to listen to Junior Juan Sandoval, Junior Estefania Rivera Gonzalez, Freshman Giuliana Crivello and Junior Courtney Potts speak. With complimentary cheese and drinks in hand, members of the crowd tuned in.

“These presentations are a culmination of work students have done this past semester in preparation for the conference,” said Assistant Professor Samantha Bankston.

Sandoval spoke first.  His study delved into the nature of american peoples’ perspective on death.  Sandoval research sources included palliative and clinical psychologist professionals.  He concluded that “death is something we don’t look at in America.  It’s memorialized.”

Gonzalez researched the development of Mexico and focused on its relationship with America.  She questioned Mexico’s vulnerability, and how does America play a role in it.

“Mexico wants to continue growing economically, and the U.S. wants to continue using quick and cheap resources, so looking at the big picture, both countries win,” Gonzalez said.  “But when taking a closer look, Mexico is more dependent on its neighbor to the north and less self reliant.”

Crivello pursued insights into “what it takes to be a manager.”  To better understand managerial archetypes, she interviewed current manager and business owner professionals.  One thing unanimous through out the mangers she interviewed was “people skills.”

Potts is currently writing a book that provides helpful information to troubled youth.

Her presentation included a partial dramatization from the book that participants in the crowd helped act out.

The symposium ended with a 15 minute Q and A.  On the Western Conference Honors Council’s website, http://www.wrhc.nau.edu, last year’s conference program listed 34 different schools in the event. “I feel ready for the conference,” said Gonzalez.  “Nervous, but ready.”