The Piano Recital

Sierra Nevada College showcased its musical side with a recital on campus to exhibit the piano and voice classes Professor Donna Axton, the director of Music Studies, offers.

The event took place Feb. 24 in the Patterson Hall.

The music department holds this event three times a semester, and has been doing so for about 15 years.

With the recital, Axton hopes to give students with musical talent a chance to perform to the community, and other SNC students.

“There are about 60 students taking private lessons here. That’s a lot,” Axton said.

“All of the students who performed were a member of one of Axton’s classes.

“I grew up singing, so I started out singing around the piano with my family, and then I started taking voice lessons in high school. I’ve taken voice lessons from Donna for four years,” said Senior Natalie Dyjak, one of the performers.

“It’s a really great opportunity for these people that have put so much effort into singing or playing the piano to have somebody listen to them,” Axton said.

Seven students performed, and they all picked what piece they wanted to either sing or play on the piano. Chelsea Lee performed Over the Rainbow by E.Y. Harburg, Angel Dwyer performed Down, by the Salley Gardens, by W.B. Yeats/ Ireland, Kathy Hughes performed When you Love a Woman, by Journey, Natalie Dyjak performed Lascia Ch’io Pianga, by G.F Handel, Senior Kelly Mahoney performed Claire de Lune , by Claude Debussy, Senior Sally Hammel performed Bali Ha’i, by Rodgers & Hannerstein, and Stepahnie Kwon performed Sonatina in C, Op. 36 No. 1, by Muzio Clementi.

Some students think that the event will expand the creativity at the college.

“We’re definitely a liberal arts college. I actually am majoring in visual arts, but this is my minor, and I love music. I probably would have majored in music had it been offered. But music is definitely part of the arts,” said Senior Sally Hammel.