Third Wednesday Reading draws in large crowd

Wade-BrownThe Third Wednesday Readings taking place in the Prim Library are a way for faculty and guest speakers to informally interact with the students at Sierra Nevada College. On Wednesday Sept. 17, Thomas Wade Brown, instructor of Humanities and Social Sciences at SNC, led a presentation in the back of the library that attracted 25 people as he discussed “Delay Discounting”, or different forms of behavioral psychology. Brown’s presentation marked the first of two that will take place this semester as a part of the series.

The crowd of over 20 people consisted of faculty members, SNC students and even some high school students from Incline High.

“The turnout was incredible. I think at one point the head count got to 25 people, which was really unexpected. It was touching to see so many of my students and colleagues come out and show support,” said Brown.

During the one hour presentation Brown was enthusiastic about the psychological concepts he discussed.

“It is gorgeous!” Brown said, after switching through different graphs being presented on the projector.

“I am not a psychology major but the way Wade explained the different studies made me want to learn more about them,” Senior Rebecca Roberts said. “He has a good sense of humor that makes psychology more appealing.”

Brown finished his presentation by opening the floor to questions from the audience. It was an opportunity for the crowd to learn more about the topics he had discussed during the presentation.

A series of workshops starting on Sept. 25 will be hosted by Brown. The workshops are particularly designed for students in the psychology program, but anyone is welcome to attend who is interested in applying to graduate school. The workshops will highlight application materials, school selection and what life is like in graduate school.

“I think that professors holding workshops and presentations about their work is awesome. It’s great to see what your teachers are inspired by and working on outside of class,” Senior Katie O’ Hara said.

The next Third Wednesday Reading will be on Oct. 15 led by Ann Marie Brown who is also the author of 13 guidebooks on California recreation and an overall dedicated outdoorswoman.