Profiles: Hart Heffelfinger

Hart Heffelfinger, a new student at SNC,  has just come to Lake Tahoe from Vashon Island

Name: Hart Heffelfinger

Age: 18

Year: Freshman

Hometown: Vashon Island, WA

Where is Vashon Island?

Vashon is an island off of Seattle that you can only get to by ferry, and I’ve lived there my whole life. The island is a hippy retirement place. It is where K2 was started and there was big industry for that, but K2 moved off the island 10 years ago and ever since it’s been farmer’s markets and rich Microsoft people.

How big is the island?

Vashon is 25 miles north to south and 13 east to west. It’s about the size of Tahoe and nothing is more than 25 minutes away from anywhere else. There is a separate island where I lived called Maury Island that is only connected by a bridge. There is only one school on Vashon Island but it is really good. A lot of students come from West Seattle because the schools aren’t as good there. They take the ferry to school every morning and have to get up at like 5 o’clock in the morning.

What did you do for fun on Vashon?

You kind of have to figure out what to do. There is not many kinds of entertainment. There is a movie theater with one movie, there is no fast food other than Subway, so we mostly do outdoorsy stuff. We go hiking a lot, there is ton of great hiking, we climb water towers, there’s like a whole bunch of different beaches that are sick. It’s just mostly chillin’ outside.

Is that what brought you to SNC?

When I was a sophomore in high school, I went to Tahoe to snowboard for a few competitions at Sierra-at-Tahoe and was like, “Oh, there’s a college here.”

So I came back and visited here again. SNC told me I was exactly the kind of student they wanted, so I applied for early admission in late August, got accepted in September.

Can you tell me about your clothing company?

My clothing company is called Tahoma Snowsports. Tahoma is the Native American name for Mt. Rainier, the mountain I grew up near, Tahoma is also my middle name. I started the company when I was a sophomore because I went to the academy, didn’t really have any intention of being a professional snowboarder just because I figured I’d blow out my ACL when I was like 23 and my career would be done and that’s going to be that. Plus I wasn’t quite good enough to do all the gnarly stuff and get paid. It just wasn’t what I wanted to do. I started Tahoma Snowsports with money I had saved, bought 50 shirts and sold them. Now I have a whole line from snapbacks, bucket hats, t-shirts and tank tops to hoodies. My clothing is sold at the local ski shop on my island.

Are you trying to sell some of your stuff up here?

Yeah. I’m having some bucket hats shipped out to Tahoe. I’m also going to try to get into the student store. I want to work on designs for the SNC clothing because I think that all of the school clothing we have is not the sickest. At the moment, all I want is the lacrosse stuff.

Did you consider being on the snowboarding team here despite choosing to play lacrosse?

Not really. I don’t like to compete snowboarding, I prefer to do backcountry and stuff like that.  I’m going to try it walk on the (lacrosse) team and play defense. My high school team was really bad, except for the grade I was in. When I was a junior we went 5-10 and when I was a sophomore we went 3-12 or something like that. When I was a senior we went 10-2 and got third in state.

Third in state? I thought you said your team wasn’t good?

When I was a senior, which was last year, out of 21 kids, 15 were seniors. So every line had two senior starters and 4 or 5 of our seniors are now going to college for it.

Isn’t there a lot of good lacrosse in the Seattle area?

It was division two but division one is gnarly. We beat a team that had 6 schools to draw from when we are a single 1A school. We beat them in overtime.

BY Dominick montelaro