Filed under Liberal Arts

Potential of a Liberal Arts degree

A Sierra Nevada College education couldn’t be duplicated at a state university or a technical school. The class sizes are small and personal, the staff and faculty strive to know the students by name and every student has the opportunity to explore different studies offered providing a taste for what makes them really tick.

These are a few ways that sets SNC as a Liberal Arts school apart from other schools in the nation. And yet, these characteristics seem to be a dying art in today’s society with word spreading that Liberal Art programs and schools are looking at a very dim future.

According to a Huffington Post article written by Justin Pope published on Dec. 30, 2012. “Today’s increasingly career-focused students mostly aren’t buying the idea that a Liberal Arts education is a good value, and many small Liberal Arts colleges are struggling. The survivors are shedding their Liberal Arts identity, if not the label.”

Liberal Arts degrees may not be as valuable as they once were in today’s market. Many articles are reevaluating the worth and showing the stress a Liberal Arts degree not only puts on a student, but parents as well.

“A lot of these articles reflect the angst of parents of college kids. Their child comes home after their first semester and announces ‘I’m going to be sociology major!’And they freak out, because they think ‘oh great my son or daughter is going to graduate and then be back home, without work,’” said Business Professor Richard Gire.

Liberal Art degrees are not the only degrees under fire.

“A degree does not guarantee you or your children a good job anymore. In fact, it doesn’t guarantee you a job: last year [2011], one out of two bachelor’s degree holders under 25 were jobless or unemployed,” said Scott Gerber in a Sept. 24, 2012 article published in The Atlantic.

Is there a way to keep all Liberal Art majors from being doomed to their parent’s basement after four years of pursuing a hard-earned degree? Liberal Arts degrees can be a great foundation for when entering grad school.

“If you have English, if you have His- tory, if you have Philosophy, whatever you have, that’s a much better foundation for you in going into some sort of technical advanced degree program, in my opinion,” said Gire.

After going to law school Gire realized that what he had learned about business in his undergrad was only marginally useful and where he learned all his chops was grad school.

“I think it’s so important for students to find their passion in Liberal Arts. Stick with it, get your degree, and then go to grad school. Everybody needs it to compete. Learn how to apply what you’ve picked up here, apply that passion in the workplace, because ultimately everyone has to make a living. If you go to a technical school or just a business school you don’t have that opportunity,” Gire said.

The great thing about Liberal Arts institutions is you have the chance to dabble. Everyone gets to stick their foot in different areas of interest.

“As an entrepreneur, having that skill is not enough. You have to have some other context to start the venture. The more I can expand what I’m experienced in the more opportunities I can go after,” said Freshman Entrepreneurship major Josh Lee.

But some see a gap between Liberal Arts and business, or perhaps that they don’t fit together at all. In order to be successful in you earning your degree one should under- stand that “every Liberal Arts degree translates into business, because if it doesn’t, you don’t eat,” said Gire.

Not only do Liberal Arts majors have the potential to benefit from being well rounded, but business majors take advantage of this at SNC as well.

“I think being well versed in as many subjects as you can is going to be very beneficial in business. It just helps shape the different thoughts and ideas that you may potentially make. Being more informed about everything just helps,” said Sophomore Global Business Management major Dominick Montelaro.

One of the core classes all students have to take no matter their major is Entrepreneurship. Gire is one of the professors who teaches that course. He values teaching this entry level course because it reaches all different students and majors making for a dynamic class. He expressed the unique opportunity it gives the business department to “show that we’re not a bunch of stuffy windbags.”

Gire enjoys the opportunity he has to work with non-business students through CORE classes.

“Some of my more interesting students in my classes are not business majors. I love having other majors in my classes, because they bring a whole different mindset. Business students sometimes mistake the pursuit of money for passion, that’s not passion,” Gire said.

So although Internet users can have a doom and gloom view of Liberal Arts institutions and degrees, it is important that as students of SNC to be aware of the future and to prepare accordingly of what obstacles may arise because of this educational path taken. Whether one is preparing for grad school, or perhaps just needs to be aware that business will be a large part of the degrees earned at SNC, no matter what is studied, success can al- ways be achieved.