Earth Day event on campus April 22

Maggie Galloway, Editor

April 22 from 1-6 p.m., Sierra Nevada University’s Patterson Lawn will come alive with students, local venders, and live music – socially distanced, of course – for the celebration of Earth Day.

Luke Moran, SNU Freeride Club member, was one of the many people involved in organizing the Earth Day events.

“Earth Day is being put on by the environmentally and socially conscious students here at SNU,” Moran said. Earth Day takes place on one of SNU’s “flex” days, so no classes will conflict with the celebration.  “The majority of the planning is being done by some of the various clubs, such as the social justice club, climate alliance, and the Freeride club.”

Moran took on the responsibility of booking Tahoe Dead Project to play at the celebration.

“Tahoe Dead Project is an amazing Grateful Dead cover band that normally plays at the American Legion down in South Lake Tahoe,” Moran said. “We really appreciate their commitment to play at our Earth Day celebration. Very stoked!”

The band doesn’t have a start or end time for its set, but it is known to play 3- to 6-hour shows in true Grateful Dead fashion.

Kayla Heidenreich, president of Climate Alliance and Social Justice Club at SNU, also took part in organizing the event.

“I’m super excited to celebrate the land we’re on and do a formal land acknowledgment to spread awareness that we are on Washoe land,” Heidenreich said. “We’re planning on selling our ‘I am on stolen land shirts’ at the event and having a screen-printing booth. Students can bring their own shirts, jackets, or whatever and we will print on them for $10. All the profits are going to the Washoe Tribe as a land tax.”

The Freeride Club is organizing other local vendors and some other fun raffles for prizes from North Shore businesses.

If you’re looking to hang out with some environmentally conscious hippies, slide by the Earth Day celebration for some great vibes!