Student Lauren Rose mixes fantasy with science

Photo courtesy of Lauren Rose

SNU senior Lauren Rose sees beauty in a world that mixes science with fantasy, and she wants to share her passion with others.

Nicole Larsen, Reporter

When the real world is too much for Sierra Nevada University senior Lauren Rose, she escapes by dreaming of writing screenplays for Disney and working on her novel in the works, a fantasy story that brings in elements of science fiction to illustrate how ‘othering’ minorities impacts our world today.
Driven and focused, Rose is co-majoring in biology and creative writing with a minor in outdoor leadership, to achieve her dreams despite the challenges of being a student during a time of political chaos and a global pandemic. While many 21-year-olds are still figuring out what to be “when they grow up,” Rose has a clear vision for her future.
“This is always changing because I love so many things, but right now the plan is to first pursue a low-residency MFA for screenwriting while working at a zoo or sanctuary, building experience in exotic animal care,” Rose said. “Then, I want to move back to Florida to work at Disney World while I pursue a master’s for the biology side of things.”
On a Friday night, you might catch her watching some of her favorite movies on Disney, like Frozen or Brother bear, reminiscing on her time when she worked in entertainment for their college program. Or, you might catch her studying biology or studying science fiction and social news articles for her fantasy novel. One of her primary interests is social justice.
“By othering minorities,” Rose said. “I mean the action by which someone observes a group of individuals in some way different from themselves and treats them as separate from their community. Racism, sexism, homophobia, things like that. I use fiction and fantasy to create my group of ‘othered’ individuals, but their story and the things that happen to them demonstrates and comments on things that happen to minorities every day.”
Not only is she an advocate for minorities, she also serves her fellow students and staff at SNU as vice president of the Student Government Association. She is also president of the Creative Writing Club. As a published author and poet, Rose’s passion for social justice finds its way into her works, combining her love of science and the creative arts.
“For me, my creative side is very helpful when I’m learning about complex, molecular or atomic level processes because I can always picture it clearly,” Rose said. “On the other hand, science shapes my writing by infusing it with my knowledge and love of the natural world. Overall, I adore the well-rounded view of the world it gives me. I can look at a leaf and tell you what’s happening in its cells and then praise it with poetry. It’s a wonderful mix of knowledge and creative passion that I’m very thankful for.”
Born into a military family on a base in Japan, Rose’s hobbies and interests are as diverse as her educational goals. On the weekends in Lake Tahoe, she enjoys backpacking, hiking, and rock climbing. She is also learning how to play the guitar, and crochets, brews her own beer, and participates in amateur rocketry.
With such a heavy course load and busy personal life, Rose manages her time wisely and relies on the support of her family, friends, and the support of the university staff.
“My secret weapon is a little white board I keep in my room that I write the tasks I need to accomplish for the following day on before I go to bed every night,” Rose explained. “I plan my days out down to the timing of breaks from my homework. The flexibility and wholehearted support of my professors and mentors through the pandemic and my Disney College Program have made a huge impact on my ability to graduate on time.”