Giving the finger to fast fashion: Thrifting becomes a fad

Photo By: Miranda Jacobson

North Lake Tahoe local thrift store Tahoe Family Solutions.

Miranda Jacobson, Editor

In 2013, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis sang about the joys of thrift shopping, and almost seven years later, students at Sierra Nevada University are still finding reasons to thrift. But what is thrifting?

“It’s going to second-hand stores and finding pieces that are part of your personal style for half the price, or maybe even less,” SNU junior Katherine Watson said. Watson considers herself to be a well-rounded thrifter, having travelled to different states all over the country to find unique tops or outrageous corsets.

“I just have a style, and thrifting really allows me to express it in the best way possible,” she said. “But it’s also so affordable, so I just keep doing it.”

Along with a colorful range of corsets, Watson enjoys finding elegant ball gowns or Victorian-style dresses. Her reasoning: Why not?

“I never know what I’ll wear them for, but they’re so fun to buy.”

Watson brings up a few valid points as to why thrifting is something that has won over her heart. As the name brand clothing companies continue to mass produce products that anyone can buy, thrifting allows the shopper to find a unique piece that not everyone could have.

SNU Senior Emily Noel enjoys this aspect of thrifting.

“In my opinion, it’s much more rewarding to thrift rather than buy directly from fast fashion companies,” she said. “You can find some high-quality clothes that would typically be very expensive if purchased new.”

Her style is constantly changing, and thrift stores can accommodate that. Whether it be a pair of pink Doc Martins that she got for $20 (at a $120 retail value) or anything having to do with stripes, Noel knows that she is always getting a deal.

“Not only is it nice to save money,” she said, “but it’s also nice to reuse stuff that people maybe only tried on once and didn’t like.”

One of the places that Noel shops is Tahoe Family Solutions, a thrift shop in Incline Village. Along with selling second-hand clothing, jewelry, books, and furniture, the store also donates money to multiple causes that help others. Funds go to mental health care, family counseling, tutoring, and many more causes to help the community.

Christina Fahad, a manager at Tahoe Family Solutions, is a big believer in second-hand stores, as well as giving back to the community.

“Everything you do or donate goes right back into the community. Coming in here is economical, and you’re helping people,” Fahad said. “You’re recycling. You’re doing all those things at one time.”

Tahoe Family Solutions prices their items in an affordable way, and always looks up items online before pricing. Most of them are priced at less than half the value, and become easily accessible to any shopper. “You can still look good, and be able to afford it,” Fahad said.