Bertie’s Hot Chicken opens in Incline Village

Photo Courtesy: Bertie's Chicken

Gabby Dodd, Managing Editor

On Feb. 4, Texas native Rick Boyd brought his southern roots and love for fried chicken to the Incline Village community through his new restaurant, Bertie’s Hot Chicken.

Boyd, who also owns Brewforia in Incline, saw the need to offer a different menu from local restaurants while also offering quick service. In a small town, many restaurants in Incline operate on limited hours, but Bertie’s aims to stay open longer than most.

“Plus it’s a price-point that’s missing, it’s definitely the least expensive place to grab lunch in north Tahoe now,” Boyd said.

Many of the items on the menu are under $12. The most popular item so far, according to Boyd, is the Dixie Chicken sandwich. He also expects their chicken and waffle basket to gain popularity as well. All of the sauces, spice blends, and dressings are made in-house.

Prior to living in Tahoe, Boyd lived in Idaho for 20 years where he had five restaurants and a brewery.

“One of our restaurants that we had in Boise specialized in burgers and it was written up as one of the 50 best in the country,” Boyd said. “So we brought that recipe back [to Bertie’s] and it’s a really fantastic burger.”

In the summer, Bertie’s is planning to add roll-up doors, patio seating, a frozen drink machine and potentially live music on weekend nights.

Originally, Bertie’s was going to be a wine bar, but Boyd has seen the restaurant’s success so far and wants to keep operating it as Bertie’s. He is thinking about potentially opening a wine bar in the old Jack Rabbit Moon building in Incline, and another Bertie’s may be opening in Reno in a few months.

“The cheap prices are going to have the students coming,” Sierra Nevada University senior Sydney Slater said. “I am excited to see what’s in store for them.”

Bertie’s is open daily from 11:30 am to 9 pm. It is located next to Verizon Wireless in the Raley’s plaza. 903 Tahoe Blvd. Incline Village.  (775) 413-5050. https://www.bertieschicken.com.