Devotion to Snow: Bryant Davis

SNU+Admissions+Counselor+Bryant+Davis+

Photo By: Brayden Stephenson

SNU Admissions Counselor Bryant Davis

Brayden Stephenson, Reporter

In the cool, dark morning before the sun comes up, the light of a headlamp inches its way up Incline Peak. Who could it be? Only one of the most dedicated snowboarders, sacrificing an extra hour of sleep to get their fix of turns in before work. Sierra Nevada University Admissions Counselor Bryant Davis just happens to be a part of this dedicated breed of snowboarder.

​“Snowboarding brought me here, and snowboarding has kept me here,” Davis said.

​Like many, Davis became interested in Tahoe because of snowboarding, and quickly fell in love. A summer spent at High Cascade Snowboarding Camp pointed him in the direction of SNU. After graduating, Davis spent some time as a snowboard coach for Westminster College in Salt Lake City, Utah. His time away from Tahoe left him longing to be back, leading him to a position as an admissions counselor at his alma mater.

​“I feel really lucky to be in the position I am,” Davis said. “I get to come to work at our beautiful campus that is filled with tons of amazing people, in the most beautiful place on Earth. It’s a huge blessing.”

​Finding his home with SNU and in Tahoe has proved to be full of rewarding experiences and relationships for Davis. It also helps that it gives him ample time to get work in and get out to enjoy the environment.

​“I can show kids that you can make a pretty awesome life for yourself in Tahoe, if that’s what you want to do,” Davis said. “Aside from that, when it comes down to it, I like this job because I can grow professionally, pay my bills, and keep snowboarding.”

​Everyone needs something to make them tick, to make the day-to-day grind go by a little quicker. For Davis, his passion for snowboarding is the momentum and inspiration for his life.

​“Snowboarding is an endless resource of self-expression and creativity. It’s freedom. You feel like a superhero or something when you snowboard,” he said. “There’s no rules, regulations, or people telling you what to wear and when or where you can snowboard.”

​Davis also pointed out the diversity of snowboarding that keeps his stoke up. This is where he shines beyond the average guy on the mountain.

​“You can wake up early and go ride groomers at DP [Diamond Peak] and feel like you’re surfing a wave. You can go front board a rail and feel like you’re in a city skateboarding. You can split board up a mountain, ride pow with your dog, and feel connected to the mountains. And then you can blend all of that into the snowboarder you want to be,” he noted. “I want to do all those things for as long as I can because it makes me feel alive and happy.”

​It’s simply his love of sliding on snow that keeps him going. As for the future, Davis wants to keep exploring and riding pow.

​“I want to go climb mountains, surf waves, and just be outside more. I want to do all that with my girlfriend Jaime and our dog Sylva,” Davis said.

​If more people followed the example of Bryant Davis, the world would be a better, more passionate place.

​“I want to be me and do the things that make me happy with the people I love,” he said, “plain and simple.”