Student Q & A: Victor Herrera

Fernando Martinez, Reporter

Name: Victor Herrera
Age: 20
Major: BFA, minor in entrepreneurship, minor in finance and economics Hometown: La Piedad, Michoacan

Victor Herrera, is a Tahoe native who loves art. He spends most if his time creating amazing sculptures and hanging out near the beach admiring the sunsets that Lake Tahoe has to offer. Victor also enjoys snorkeling, there’s not a time he isn’t amazed of how deep and scary Lake Tahoe is.

What are your hobbies and why?

Hobbies? …making art, trying to make things look better, reading, working out and definitely meditating. I enjoy doing all of this because it’s good for my body, they make me feel good. Gaining knowledge everyday, learning new skills is what I enjoy doing.

What’s your favorite thing about Lake Tahoe and why?

My favorite part of Lake Tahoe is the amazing sunsets that never fail. You can go down to the beach and you’ll always have your jaw drop down because they are always so beautiful.

What brought you to SNC?

SNC was pretty much a perfect fit to me, after being at the art building and the studio there. I saw the potential of doing anything I set my mind to because the perfect tools were there. It also fit perfectly because I am from here, I never really had in mind of leaving this place.

Why did you chose SNC?

I was able to afford it somehow and a big part of the reason I am here is because of the soccer team. SNC is one of the few schools that has a soccer program. I didn’t want to leave home it’s beautiful here.

What advice would you give to freshman?

I would tell them to meditate and go out in adventures here around Tahoe. There’s many beautiful and peaceful places where they can go out to study or meditate. Be outdoors as much as they can, don’t waste your time indoors.

What are you passionate about?

I am passionate about feelings and feeling a sort of type of way. I am passionate about being in the now, it’s really all that exist. Pretty much everything that I do or try to do leads up to that being present. I think it’s really important to start thinking about the now and not the past or future. Past thoughts or thoughts about the future are pointless, all that matters is the now.

What are you committed to?

I am committee to art, it’s what I want to do for the rest of my life. It’s what I love doing, so I’m going to stay committed to it. I’d love to see my art around the world one day, that’d be cool! I am also committed to making people smile and laugh. It’s definitely something I enjoy doing, it makes me happy seeing other people smile.

How was it growing up in Mexico and the United States?

Man… that was so amazing. I feel like I got the best of both sides simply because Mexico is so beautiful and so is the U.S. It was really fun and adventures, it was perfect.

What do you miss most about growing up in Mexico?

I would say being there because it seems like everything happened so fast and I wish I had the time or the thoughts to be grateful for what I had. I didn’t really have that knowledge back then like
I do know to appreciate all those beautiful moments I was having. It’s definitely something that when I think about it, it makes me smile, brings some good memories back.

Can you tell me about one of your best memories growing up?

Once my good childhood friend Jose Antonio and I burnt down the whole soccer field because we were trying to do an Isca. We started to do a little fire and we thought he had it under control, out
of nowhere the wind start picking up and we noticed that the fire started to get out of control. We tried turning it off but it was too late, I ran back to my little town in search of some help. As soon as I got there everyone was wondering why I was so dirty from my face. I told them what happened and they all helped me right away. Now every time they see me they ask me if I remember the day Jose and I burnt the field. Good memories.

What are your goals at SNC?

My goals at SNC are to have the skills and knowledge to be a professional, and by that I mean create some sort of business that ties in with art, sculpting, building for sure and entrepreneurship. Another goal of mine is to get the best grades I can here at SNC, learn the most and really take advantage of the equipment that I have available at the art building. I hope to graduate with an idea that will help me after SNC and that I’ll enjoy doing.