Student Q&A: Mallorie Miller

Student Q&A: Mallorie Miller

Freshman Mallorie Miller is the only American on the SNC women’s ski team.

Photo credit: Kristin Helser

Photo credit: Kristin Helser

Photo credit: Kristin Helser

Kristin Helser, Reporter

Age: 19

Year: Freshman

Major: International studies

Hometown: Breckenridge, Colorado

Colorado-raised Mallorie Miller is new to Sierra Nevada College as a freshman this year. After growing up on the ski slopes back home, Mallorie came to SNC to spend her time outside in the Tahoe air, getting out and trying new things. She happens to be the only American on the SNC women’s ski team, but this international studies major just might surprise you with her French background and entertaining travel stories.

What made you decide to come to SNC?

Originally, it was the ski team. The coach reached out to me, so it was on my radar. Then, I came to visit the school and I really liked it. That’s when I officially decided to enroll here.

How did you get into skiing?

I grew up in Colorado so it was a popular activity, and my parents really enjoyed it. So, they taught me to ski when I was probably one and a half and I guess I just really loved it and kept going through with it.

What is it about skiing that makes you enjoy it so much?

I think it’s just the experiences I’ve had with it and the people I’ve met along the way and kind of the competition aspect. It’s a good combination of a bunch of different things that all go into one activity that I really like doing.

How does the Tahoe area compare to where you are from?

I guess it’s pretty similar geographically; it’s super mountainous in that kind of way and there’s lots of skiing. They’re both very close with nature.

Is there anything you miss from home?

I just miss the people, my friends and family, but otherwise I’m just excited to be somewhere new and experiencing something different.

What made you decide on your major?

I want to go into criminal justice and international studies kind of covered different kinds of classes that I could take and eventually transfer over to a different major if I wanted to. So, it was a good starting point for what I want to do later on.

What do you think makes SNC stand out from other schools?

I really like the class sizes and the size of the school in general. It’s super personal. You can find something you really enjoy doing, it’s super hands-on, and I love the teacher-to-student ratio.

What is your favorite place you’ve ever traveled to and why?

I would say probably France because my mom is French and I like the area. I think it’s kind of cool to experience how she has lived and the people there and kind of see things from her point of view.

How did having a French mom affect the way you grew up?

She was born there and grew up there until she was about 25 and then she came to the U.S. I used to know some French. When I was a toddler, I spoke English and French around the house, but my dad is American, so we speak English around the house typically. Then, when I went to school, I kind of lost it because English took over. I can understand a lot more than I can speak.

What is your favorite thing about Tahoe?

I think it’s a really unique place in general and I really like all the activities it provides and all the people I’m able to meet while being here. I think it’s really cool how even the school itself offers things like rock climbing and paddle boarding – the kind of outdoor sports and activities I wouldn’t be able to find at home.

What are you most looking forward to within the next four years?

I’m excited to continue with school and eventually get a degree. I just like learning in general and I think it’s cool how many different kinds of classes are offered and all the different things I can pick up along the way.

If you were to give any advice to high school seniors considering attending SNC, what would you tell them?

I would say to really consider it and to look into the positive aspects of it, because I think a lot of people I know who are still in high school are desperate to get out of high school and find a big university or a big campus to go to just for a change. I think they should really consider SNC because of everything it offers and how helpful it can be to students.