Faculty profile: Jordawn Jones

Faculty profile: Jordawn Jones

Andrew Santos, Reporter

Every school has people behind the scenes who are the backbone of the school. The athletics department at Sierra Nevada College has Jordawn Jones, the head athletic trainer.

In the basement of the David hall building is the athletics department. There, groups of athletes wait for Jones to rebuild and train them to get the most out of their athletic careers.

“Helping athletes succeed on the field is an amazing feeling,” Jones said. “My career as an athlete ended after multiple knee surgeries. This inspired me to help others prevent having the same issues.”

Jones’ credentials include certifications in LAT, ATC, CSCS and USAW. She was also staff member of the year last year at SNC.

Her passion for athletics stems from her career playing basketball. After multiple injuries, Jones transferred

her athletic ability into athletic expertise, starting her career at Weaver State working with division one football and basketball teams. Then she took the head athletic trainer job at SNC, after being drawn to the “small and impactful education system at SNC.”

“I wanted to work at a school where I can make a difference,” she said. “The small school size allows me to work individually with athletes and help to expand our programs.”

One of the major projects for expansion this year was the new weight room and athletic offices. Jones, along with others, completely renovated and updated the athletics department to be a useful and productive space. This was part of her future plans already in action.

“I hope to eventually earn my PhD so I can work as a professor and teach athletic training full time,” she said. “However, I still want to stay in touch with athletes and hope I can train more people to be athletic trainers in the future.”