New gym to open soon on SNC campus

New gym to open soon on SNC campus

Gabby Dodd, Managing Editor

Sierra Nevada College’s new gym, which was formerly a music area, is nearing completion in David Hall. Head athletic trainer Jordawn Jones is expecting the gym will be open to all students and staff before the start of next semester. Currently, there is no exact opening date.

Jones is waiting to complete final touches, such as adding more equipment and getting a federal work-study program set up for students to work in the gym. This program not only gives more job opportunities to students, but ensures that someone is always around to check people in, which will help prevent weights, bands, and other equipment from getting stolen. Since the gym is completely funded by the SNC Student Government Association and other donations from outside companies, theft in the gym means replacement will be difficult.

While the gym is currently being used for workouts with students on teams, before the rest of the students and staff can begin using the gym, there will be a one-hour introduction course that needs to be completed. This will not only teach etiquette, but help people get comfortable using the facility. Since the only machines available are focused on cardio, much of the gym equipment consists of free weights.

“I want to make sure that everyone knows how to use the weights correctly,” Jones said. “It’ll be a very brief demonstration on the basic lifts, squats, deadlifts, how to bench properly, and also how to spot someone.”

Hours of operation for the gym are also still being worked out by the athletic department, which will be heavily determined by the hours and funding available for work-study students. Jones will also need to be able to fit in rehab times for athletes.

Due to the lack of space in the gym area, there may be a “no bag” policy. Students may be encouraged to leave any gym bags at home or in their dorm and would also help things like exercise bands from leaving the gym. Jones would eventually like to get a check- out system started for students to use weightlifting shoes in the gym if they prefer.

Jones’ workout tips for ski season

TRX low rows
Instead of using weights with a squat or other exercises, total-body resistance exercises (TRX) uses straps to engage the core, no matter what part of the body the training is focused on. These straps are Jones’ favorite addition to the gym.

Jones’ tip: Grabbing both the TRX handles with a close grip, begin lowering your up- per body while your feet stay in the same place until your arms are all the way extended. Contracting your shoulder muscles, pull until your torso meets your hands and repeat. It is important to not round your shoulders in, but to keep a straight, strong back.

Squats with bands

Our knees really just do flexion and extension says Jones. Having strong hips will prevent knees from bowing in and help to get a proper form for squats.

Jones’ Tip: Doing squats with bands just above the knees will get good activation of the glutes. There are a variety of exercises that involve bands, including monster walks which uses bands around the ankles, knees, or both. Taking short steps backward and alternating feet will strengthen hip abductors.

Squatting

Squats are fundamental in building both upper and lower-body strength, according to Health Fitness Revolution. We do some version of squats in our daily lives, whether that be getting in your car, or going to sit in a chair, etc., knowing the proper squatting technique can be a knee saver, says Jones.

Jones’ Tip: When doing squats, get into a power position where your knees are slightly bent and the hips are dropped back. Having wide shoulder width and spacing under your feet that matches your hips will put you into the right stance. Hinging your hips back, drop down into the full squat. Dropping down into a squat without this proper stance (ex: knees bowing in) will put a lot of 3 tension on your knees. A squat should always be pushing your knees out so you can get lower.