Student Q&A: Kyle Gomez-Fowers

SNC+senior+Kyle+Gomez-Fowers+hanging+out+on+the+beach+during+break.+Gomez-Fowers+plays+lacrosse+at+SNC.+

Student Q&A: Kyle Gomez-Fowers

SNC senior Kyle Gomez-Fowers hanging out on the beach during break. Gomez-Fowers plays lacrosse at SNC.

Jaxen McLaren, Reporter

Some would say finding the perfect balance in college is impossible, but not for Sierra Nevada College senior Kyle Gomez-Fowers. In between tireless hours of lacrosse and working toward a business major, Gomez-Fowers, 21, still finds time to play beer-die on the beach with his friends and party on the weekends.

What was it that made you choose SNC?

I didn’t really have many options because I had bad grades in high school, and when the lacrosse team first started here everyone was from the Bay Area. My parents knew a bunch of kids I grew up with that came here. A lot of alumni came here and told my parents about it.

What do you feel is the best part of getting a major in business?

When I graduate college, I can get a real job and make real money which not all people can do with their major. I get to take mine right out of college and into a career, so that’s pretty chill.

What’s the biggest difference between living in Petaluma and here at Tahoe?

They’re both beautiful places to live, they’re just different. I like living here because of the lake mostly. Plus, Nevada is way better to live in because the laws are more relaxed and it’s clean water.

What is the best part of this school?

The best part of this school is that everyone is different but pretty like-minded. You can always find someone to hang out with. No matter where students come from, they always are super cool and genuine.

Why and when did you start playing lacrosse?

I started playing lacrosse in third grade because I played every sport. Then lacrosse came to my town and my parents introduced me to it. Even though I sucked my first year I still loved the sport and kept playing. So, I guess I’ve been playing for about 13 years this year.

Do you play any other sports?

No, just lacrosse. I used to run cross country and actually was in the Junior Olympics in fifth grade. I stopped playing because I just loved lacrosse more.

Do you have any hobbies?

I have a few. I like to bar-hop, go to Rookies on the weekend, and I like to go Monday night bowling. My favorite is beer-die for sure, we play all the time on the beach with the lacrosse team and other friends.

Can you tell me more about beer-die?

Beer-die is fun because it’s competitive, it’s a drinking game, and it really helps with your hand-eye coordination. You feel very athletic when you get a sick catch. It’s the best feeling in the world. It’s kind of like making an awesome play in lacrosse.

Do you like the winter or summer better here?

Summer 100% because you can’t play beer-die in the winter and I don’t snowboard. My tan goes away in the winter and that sucks.

What do you want to do with your major?

I want to go into financial planning at Northwestern Mutual. That’s the job I was saying I can get with my econ/finance major. It’s a really good job and I’ll get to actually apply what I’ve learned here at SNC.

What are your plans post-graduation?

I’ll either go straight to Northwestern Mutual or I might stay here for a year. I’m undecided. I don’t think I’m quite ready to give up the Tahoe life, but I’m eager to start my career in financial planning. I’m taking this year to figure it out.