Chairman Lalchandani announces retirement of SNC Tahoe president Walker

Zoe Tuttle, Managing Editor

On May 22, 2019, SNC Tahoe announced the retirement of Alan Walker as president of the college, effective May 27, 2019.

Walker served as president of SNC Tahoe for four years. During his time as president, he rolled out an innovative extension program to offer SNC Tahoe degrees on the campuses of Lake Tahoe Community College and Truckee Meadows Community College.

Headshot of former SNC President Alan Walker

Dr. Alan Walker served as President of SNC Tahoe from September of 2015 to May of 2019. Photo Courtesy SNC Tahoe.

In the press release, Walker states “I have been honored to work with colleagues and students here at SNC Tahoe as well as the generous community members in Northern Nevada, and take pride in what we have achieved together in academics, the arts, student leadership, community service, athletics, student entrepreneurship, and innovation. I will depart with pride having served here, and with best wishes for continued success for future generations of Eagles, as well as for all SNC Tahoe faculty, staff, and alumni.”

“During a challenging period for smaller colleges in America, Dr. Walker brought financial stability to SNC Tahoe, growing its circle of friends, partners, and donors,” said SNC Tahoe Chairman Atam Lalchandani in the press release.

“Dr. Walker’s unique history with extension campuses, his commitment and attention to financial integrity, and his enthusiasm for education and college athletics in our glorious outdoor community came at the right time for the college. We thank Dr. Walker for his service to SNC Tahoe and wish him and his wife Debbie a healthy and rewarding retirement, “said Lalchandani.

Dr. Ed Zschau has been selected by the board of trustees to serve as interim president of SNC Tahoe.

Dr. Zschau led technology companies for 17 years. He founded System Industries in 1969 and led the company to its successful IPO in 1980. In the 1990s, he served as the General Manager of the IBM Storage Systems Division, per the press release from SNC Tahoe.

Dr. Zschau’s bio boats a hefty thirty years of university teaching experience in the business schools at Stanford and Harvard and in the engineering schools at Princeton, Caltech, and the University of Nevada, Reno.

He represented the Silicon Valley area of California in the US Congress for two terms in the early 1980s. Dr. Zschau earned an AB in Philosophy at Princeton and MBA, MS, and Ph.D. degrees at Stanford. He and his wife Jo reside in Genoa, Nevada.