Filed under Campus, Community, News

Is a barefoot trend sweeping SNC campus?

It’s no secret that Sierra Nevada College students love the outdoors. At SNC, outdoor activities such as skiing, snowboarding, rock climbing, hiking, and lake days are a regular occurrence, but some students go the extra mile to become more in tune with the earth. In the warmer months in Tahoe it isn’t uncommon to see students walking around campus without shoes – even during ski season some students can sometimes be spotted walking barefoot in the icy parking lot.

Going barefoot on college campuses has recently become a trend in the western region of the U.S. Some say it gives students a feeling of connectedness to the earth, others just like the way it feels or are too lazy to bother grabbing a pair of shoes before heading off to class.

Freshman Emily Isom says that it just feels good to be barefoot.

“I hate wearing shoes,” she said. “It feels great to feel the different textures under your feet. It makes me feel a little more humbled too. It has sort of a calming effect as well and puts me in a happier mood for no reason at all.

“Honestly, I don’t think you benefit too much from not wearing shoes, not physically at least. I think it’s more mental. Like I said, it just puts me in a good mood and I feel more in tune with myself. I usually don’t go shoeless too much in the winter. If I’m walking from my room to the cafeteria, then yes I would go shoeless. But if I have to go outside in the snow, then hell no, I would be wearing shoes.”

What about the adversities of going barefoot?

“I have been asked to leave for not wearing shoes,” Isom said. “One example is the cafeteria here at SNC. The staff would simply ask me to put on shoes or leave. Most of the time I would get away with it, but occasionally that would happen. I would just pull out my pair of Crocs that I kept in my backpack solely for that reason.”

She recommends that other people try going barefoot. “Just one shot to see if they like it,” she said. “If not, oh well. You never know unless you give it a chance.”

Samir Somji almost never wears shoes, not even in the winter. The senior ski business and ODAL major was convinced by a friend to start going barefoot and one day he forgot to bring shoes when he skied to school, so he just decided to try it out. Now he doesn’t need to worry about carrying around an extra pair of shoes.

“Speedy transitions to ski boots and climbing shoes” are a benefit of the shoeless lifestyle, Somji said. “Plus, it saves me a couple seconds when leaving the house.”

He admits there are some hurdles when deciding to go barefoot as often as he does.

“Ophelia (a cafeteria worker) often is unimpressed with bare feet in the cafeteria,” he said. “Me and Nathan used to stash some shoes in the bushes when we lived on campus so we could still eat. Most places that serve food aren’t too stoked. Must be some kind of health code thing. Also, the pinecones around here are super sharp.”

Somji also recommends walking barefoot in the winter.

“It’s the best time of year to do it,” he said. “It’s like walking on the beach except the water is kinda cold.”

He also says that it can by hydrating for the pores in his feet.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Is a barefoot trend sweeping SNC campus?”

1. Katmir on March 7th, 2019 8:18 am

Shoes are just tools you don’t need all the time. Dispel the myths and hearsay about yourselves. People should know about the barefoot advocacy group BarefootIsLegal.org …

2. Dylan Kemp on March 10th, 2019 7:56 am

This is a great trend. Barefooters need to be aware that there a NO health codes against customers being barefoot in places that serve food or any other store. There are also no laws against driving barefoot either.

3. Joseph T on March 10th, 2019 3:23 pm

i love hearing stories like this 🙂 i gave up shoes on 4-1-16 and just said enough is enough, im tired of feeling scared and uncomfortable for the sake of others, conforming to their vanity strickened hate and soaked my only pair of shoes at the time in lighter fluid and ive never felt so free in my entire life!
    since then ive bought 2 more pairs of Walmarts cheapest shoes and just cut the bottoms out like a d.i.y. version of barebottoms and laced the front end with 300lb fishing twine so they stay secured and dont flop around…however its VERY rare i ever wear these even and i try to even avoid un-barefoot friendly places all together
    i have been very successful as of late to happily find in my vanity strickened city atleast a handful of businesses that arent podophobic which a restaurant is among, and now Walmart is widely known now that they dont have a policy and ALL Walmart (even yours that you’ve been kicked out of) are barefoot friendly, just ask for the Walmart policy email on society for barefoot living on Facebook, print it out and show the manager along with the health department letter aswell
    http://www.barefooters.org/health-codes-and-osha/ (scroll down and click on your state)

4. Daniel Rouse on March 26th, 2019 12:38 pm

This growing trend of freezing weather barefoot is not without it’s frostbite risk! It is actually better to go barefoot in Spring and Summer weather, even for the less-experienced.

Frostbite can literally freeze first the toes… not very wise if the soles turn pale white instead of deeper red. In contrast, even “ow hot” heat isn’t immediately damaging to the soles: first they burn, then they tingle, then they prickle, then almost electric shock pulsating painful before that final numbing pinch causes the superficial temporary burning to actually become a blister… if one pushes that far to pass a stubborn heat limit.(Otherwise, even stinging burning still subsides when the soles no longer feel tender… and pre-heat to just slightly stinging becomes a heat experienced barefooter’s warmup prior to extended near-blistering heat on the soles.).

With practice: I was doing tens of minutes on 140 degrees F average temperature asphalt. Also, during a cross-country move I was crossing Arizona parking lots at 1:30pm PDT in June (only too hot to stand still without moving), and also crossing Texas truck stop parking lots at 3:30 pm CDT, able to stand still at 7;00pm.

That said, it’s not a competition and every one does their own barefooting.

Freezing weather still uncomfortable level “popsicle” chills my soles within just two minutes even on dry surfaces! NO WAY am I sacrificing heat toughness for cold endurance when some heat tolerance is lost each winter.