Filed under Campus, News, Outdoor, Sports

Young skiers stand out in team debut

Young skiers stand out in team debut

SNC Snowboard Team

The team had no problem at its first contest, dominating at Sierra at Tahoe Ski Resort. This year the team is stacked with talented young guns including freshman Cali Carlson and Alex Schoff, commonly referred to as Norm.

“Carlson has been a standout this year, she is ahead of her years with skill and style,” said Freddy McCarthy, head coach of the snowboard team. “Norm, I believe, will have no problem filling the shoes of our recent graduates.”

This year the team has diversified by adding two freshman, Cory Skaags and Marc Speak, who are race-oriented. “They are going to shine brightly and take the spotlight at our upcoming races,” McCarthy said.

Carlson said the team’s goals are “to show up, be present and push each other to do the best we can as a team and individually.”

The team’s overall goal is to bring home the race and freestyle national championship plates for men and women.

One of the team’s highlights of the season has been practicing at the terrain park at Diamond Peak Ski Resort, which has improved significantly from last year. The size and set ups are bigger, with a greater variety of features, McCarthy said. While the team practices at Diamond Peak they will be preparing later in the season for nationals in Jackson Hole.

Graphic displaying an update on SNC Tahoe's snow sports, made by Gabby DoddSNC Freestyle Ski Team

Although the team has been without a coach for an extended period, this hasn’t stopped them from winning titles and stomping new tricks.

Cole Lyon and Sam McChesney, who are both upperclassmen and team captains, have been running the logistics of the team and stepping in to fill the coaching role this season.

“We’re working with very little and trying to do the best we can, but it would be nice to see some support from the school in the future,” Lyon said.

A plus for the team has been practicing at the Diamond Peak Ski Resort terrain park. So far, the team has had one competition this season at Sierra at Tahoe Ski Resort, and no other schools showed up. “But skiing with the team is always fun,” said Gabby Dodd, SNC junior. “It’s nice to be around a group of people who want to help each other improve.”

Despite having a small team, there is a stack of skilled skiers ready to compete.

One of the team’s goals is to take team overall, including male and female for slopestyle and railjam, said Andrew Eells, a SNC senior freestyle ski member. At the end of the season, the team will travel to Wyoming and compete at nationals with the goal to win USCSA.

Alpine Ski Team

This year the SNC Alpine Ski Racing Team has adapted and overcome major setbacks with hopes for a promising year ahead.

Mihaela Kosi, a recent Sierra Nevada College graduate and alpine ski racer, has taken over as head coach. “Mihi is a passionate and a very progressive coach. She is one of the hardest workers I know and I am sure that she will lead us the right way to the win we all deserve,” Luca Gobec, SNC junior, said. This year the team is smaller due to injuries.

“The benefit about being smaller is we have grown close and supportive of our teammates, which is a great win,” said Eva Jazbec, SNC senior. With consistently good snow conditions, the team has been able to practice on a regular basis.

The team showed a strong performance on the USCA, USSA, and FIS races, consistently getting on the podium, Kosi said.

“The highlight of the season is always nationals. We work silently and then when the time comes, we will be ready to take the national championship title back to Tahoe where it belongs,” Gobec said.