Filed under Campus, Outdoor, Sports

Stuck in class while your friends ski?

Stuck in class while your friends ski?

Winter is here, the snow is falling, and life is good. Or is it? Your friends are out riding the fresh pow, and you’re stuck in class.

With Dimond Peak minutes away, and a plethora of resorts and mountains within a 45-minute drive, many Sierra Nevada College students gear their schedule around skiing and snowboarding.

“I basically stacked all my classes on Tuesday and Thursday,” Milan Peyrin, SNC freshmen said. “I only have one class on Mondays and Wednesdays.”

With basically only two days of classes per week, students are able to get out and ride as much as they want. However, many students aren’t able to stack their classes into such a tight schedule.

“I tried to stack my classes – it’s just hard now that I’m not a freshman and need specific classes,” Ben Hojnoski, SNC sophomore and marketing major, said. “I could have made my Monday and Wednesday class load easier by taking an 8 a.m. statistics class, but I just don’t think I can do that.”

It can be hard for upper classmen to get their ideal schedule. The schedules are designed by administration months in advance, and when it comes time, students have to strike a balance between classes they need and the classes they want.

“In the end, the students really have the final say about what their classes will be,” said Jane Rainwater, SNC’s assistant registrar.

Stacking classes can be especially important for members of the ski and snowboard teams, not only to get more practice, but also to miss fewer days of school for contests.

“My school schedule works really well with my contest schedule, especially since I’m doing non-school related contests,” Peyrin said. “I’m going to Canada soon for a contest and now I’m only really missing two days of school instead of four.”

For those members of the team who don’t stack their classes into a two-day-a-week schedule, it is not the end of the world – students are always able to get out and go take a few runs at Diamond Peak between classes.

“I wish my classes were all put on two days instead of four, I’d definitely get more riding time that way,” Hojnoski said, “It’s not that bad though, I can still go ride from between an hour and a half to two hours at Diamond Peak each day.”

Often when trying to get the ideal schedule, students must compromise.

“I was in video 1 which I liked, I just recently dropped it though because it wouldn’t have fit into my new schedule,” Peyrin said.

While putting all your classes into a two-day schedule makes for a very long and rigorous two days it is rewarding to those students who do it.

“I didn’t stack all my classes last semester because it wasn’t ski season, however I did still feel like with all the activities in Tahoe it was hard to be in class for all four days,” Peyrin said, “I like my classes a lot more the way they are now.”