Author Evans Writes About Adventure

Author Evans Writes About Adventure

Emily Tessmer, Reporter

Join Sierra Nevada College’s English Department in the Tahoe Center for Environmental Studies (TCES) Room 139-141, for the upcoming Writers in the Woods, February 8 and 9, featuring the work of acclaimed author and journalism professor Jeremy Evans.

His latest literary endeavor entitled, See You Tomorrow, is about famous French snowboarder Marco Siffredi who mysteriously went missing on Mount Everest in 2002.

“There are many people who get lost and die on the North Face of Everest, but Marco was never found,” Evans said. “See you tomorrow, were the last words that someone said to Marco before he vanished.”

Evans received his Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism from Marquette University in Milwaukee, and his Master of Arts in teaching, from Sierra Nevada College.

Jeremy Evans non-fiction book In Search of Powder, will be discussed at the upcoming Writers in the Woods event at SNC Tahoe.
His first nonfiction book, In Search of Powder, was reviewed in national publications such as The Wall Street Journal and ESPN.com, and his second book, The Battle for Paradise, also garnered attention from national and international entities.

See You Tomorrow, touches on themes of youth and adventure, risk-taking, pushing boundaries and getting outside of societal norms.

“I think students will really like the story,” Evans said. “I’m honored to be in the Writers in the Woods series, and I plan to learn as much as I can contribute to somebody else’s experience.”

Prior to his journey as an author, Evans worked as a journalist and acquired multiple writing awards from the California Newspaper Publishers Association and The Nevada Press Association.

Writers in the Woods, showcases well-known poets and authors from all over the country, in an intimate environment, where participants experience their work first-hand during a Friday-night reading, and a Saturday workshop. The events are available to the public. For community members the cost is $50. It is free for SNC students, and can be taken for credit.

June Saraceno, chair of the Humanities department, conceived and created Writers in the Woods with the intention of designing a literary and cultural hub for students, authors, and community members near and far.

“By starting the Writers in the Woods speaker series, my goal was to bring some of the best living writers in the country to campus for our students and regional community to enjoy,” Saraceno said.

Future authors on the roster during spring semester include: memoirist and poet Alice Anderson, poet Lee Herrick, and author Natalie Baszile.

For more information, and upcoming dates please visit: www.sierranevada.edu/writer-woods/