Faculty Profile: Eric Tanguay

Faculty Profile: Eric Tanguay

SNC Alumni Eric Tanguay takes a break from recruiting for a picture at a PGA qualifying event.

Photo courtesy: Eric Tanguay

Photo courtesy: Eric Tanguay

Photo courtesy: Eric Tanguay

The golf course is quiet. All the players are on the range warming up, getting ready for their rounds, all talking about the day they have ahead of them. Eric Tanguay is close by giving his players a few tips of advice, and wishing them good luck on their round. To him this is the best time of the day, watching his players getting ready for their round.

“The best days on the course are quiet days with not too many people out there, just us and the course. I love those days,” Tanguay said. The former Sierra Nevada College student went from being on the golf team, to coaching it.

Tanguay is passionate about what he does and he wants his players to be the best they can be, on and off the course.

“I like to help out anyway I can, if players are struggling on the course, I do my best to help them out with their swings,” he said. “Also, in the classroom, I try to help out my players in any way possible.”

Tanguay has been head coach of the men’s and woman’s golf teams since 2016. At that time, he was coming off of his last season as a player when his coach resigned from the job. He saw the opportunity to stay in Tahoe and share his knowledge of the game with future athletes and thought it would be a perfect fit.

Tanguay moved from home in San Diego, California, and spent his first two years of college at Grand Canyon University in Phoenix, Arizona. When he went out looking for a new place to call home, SNC caught his attention.

“I loved that that it was a new program with lots of room to grow, and obviously you can’t beat the scenery and the golf courses in the Tahoe area,” said Tanguay.

He spent his first two years in Lake Tahoe exploring the mountains, the lake, and playing competitively for SNC’s men’s golf team. When 2016 came around and it was time to graduate, he was offered the position of head coach for both the men’s and woman’s programs and couldn’t pass up the offer.

Tanguay recently turned pro and talked about the differences between playing and coaching. “It was definitely a challenge to find the balance between playing and coaching but now after a couple years of experience I think I have found that balance and I wouldn’t want it to be any different,” he said.

Tanguay spent his summer in Tahoe playing in PGA tour qualifying events along with recruiting golfers from all around the world. In just two years of coaching Tanguay has brought the men’s golf program from a decent team to a contender to go to nationals. Tanguay has managed to bring in five new recruits this season: four in the men’s program and one in the women. He has also taken on the challenge of hosting this year’s Cal Pac Conference Championship at the beautiful Red Hawk golf club in Reno.

“I’m very excited to host conference this year, we have been close to making nationals the last two years and came up just short. With conference being at one of our home courses this year we have a very good chance to make nationals and I’m exited for the challenge to get my players ready for that tournament,” he said.

In addition to accepting the coaching job in 2016, Tanguay has earned a certification from the Titleist Performance Institute and achieved PGA apprentice status with the PGA of America. The SNC golf program has benefited from this as he has brought the men’s program from just four players last year to seven players this year.

“I love the area and I love the game and I am very happy I got the opportunity to share my knowledge and help these players to their fulfill potential,” said Tanguay.