Filed under Campus, News, Sports

Ladies lacrosse team comes back to SNC

Ladies lacrosse team comes back to SNC

Team members and student coaches Casey Orrego (left) and Maggie Symons at a lacrosse game.

Photo courtesy: Maggie Symons

Photo courtesy: Maggie Symons

Photo courtesy: Maggie Symons

After three years dormant the Sierra Nevada College, the ladies’ lacrosse team is making noise again. The original team was cut due to financial reasons. It existed from 2012-2015.

Sophomores Kacie Orrego and I, have decided to dedicate time and effort to restart the program, starting with the positions of player/coach for the club team.

“Why not step up and do it rather than just want it,” Orrego said, reflecting on the decision to relaunch a lacrosse team at SNC. “Our goal is to be wearing a uniform on the field soon.”

Matt Day, SNC’s head men’s lacrosse coach and assistant athletic director, has guided the pathway to creating a team that can last for decades to come.

“The goal of rejuvenating the SNC Women’s Lacrosse Team is very realistic, and one that is long overdue. Under Maggie and Kacie’s leadership and direction, we’re on the right track to reestablishing the program in the foreseeable future,” Day said.

The start of the fall 2018 semester, Orrego and I put a signup sheet out in the front lobby of the school and advertised with flyers around campus in hopes to gather some real numbers.

On Sept. 10, we had a booth on the sidewalk near the cafeteria entrance. By the end of the day we had 19 girls signed up.

By October we began practices every Monday and Wednesday 7-9 a.m. at Preston field. Five out of 19 girls had minimal lacrosse experience, including Orrego and me.

“People do not like that it is early but it is a productive routine that I believe can grow on a person,” Orrego said.

At practice we learn the basic skills of lacrosse, like catching and throwing, cradling, and ground balls. “If you try hard at anything you will be good at it,” Orrego said.

Freshmen Nichole Costa and Maggie Galloway both bring experience and helpful teaching skills to the team. Costa started playing her freshmen year of high school and Galloway has played since middle school. They both agree they want to continue their lacrosse careers into college.

“I think the team has a good potential future if we can continue to put in hard work,” Costa said.

Each practice we can see growth in everyone and as a whole we are more comfortable in what we are doing. As the current players continue to grow, we continue in search to add to the team.

“We hope to get a good number of recruits this spring and in fall 2019 and make it an ongoing, real team,” Orrego said.

For the future of the team the plan is to continue practicing and fundraising this semester. Next semester we would like to have some new recruits and play a handful of games.  For the fall 019 we would like to have a fully funded team with a roster of experienced well-rounded players.