Filed under Community, News, Outdoor, Sports

Opening day at Mammoth Mountain

Sierra Nevada College’s traditional trip to the resort

+SNC+Students+at+the+2017-18+season+opening+day+at+Mammoth+Mountain.+SNC+has+a+yearly+tradition+of+attending+the+resort.+The+trip+is+free+for+students%2C+however+attendees+need+to+have+volunteered+for+community+service+prior+to+attending.

Opening day at Mammoth Mountain

SNC Students at the 2017-18 season opening day at Mammoth Mountain. SNC has a yearly tradition of attending the resort. The trip is free for students, however attendees need to have volunteered for community service prior to attending.

Photo courtesy: Will Hoida

Photo courtesy: Will Hoida

Photo courtesy: Will Hoida

With the shortage of early snowfall in the Lake Tahoe basin many Sierra Nevada College students are heading down the road to Mammoth to get their November snow fix for opening weekend on Nov. 9.

This Student Government Association-sponsored trip has been offered to SNC students for the past six years and provides a unique experience that many schools can’t say they have.

This event is free for students who volunteered at least three hours at the community trail of treats event where the Campbell Freedmen dormitory was transformed into a haunted house. A chartered bus will transport students to and from campus, leaving at 5:15 a.m. for a full day on the slopes. This is an SGA tradition that even SNC President Alan Walker has joined in on for three years, since he became president of Sierra Nevada College.

Opening day has many students stoked to get back on some snow. Freshmen Maggie Holloway is from Ohio. Her trip to Mammoth will be her first time riding on the west coast.

“In Ohio there’s like one hill down the road and it’s all park, so riding a real mountain is going to be really cool,” Holloway said. “The community service was actually really fun. I did peoples makeup for the Halloween event, it was totally worth it.”

For SGA’s director of communications, Madalyn Johnson, this is her second time attending the trip.

“I’m so excited, this trip really gives students a chance to meet others by spending three hours on a bus to Mammoth and back,” Johnson said. “Students should really take advantage of this opportunity due to the fact it’s a free day of skiing and skiers and snowboarders can get a couple turns in before most people can.”

“I’m planning to go on the Mammoth trip, but I forgot to take off work until now for it, so hopefully I don’t get scheduled,” Drake Fiske said. And while the concern of a snow-free fall has some students upset, Fiske is not worried.

“I haven’t gotten a ski pass anywhere yet and the lack of snow still gives me time to go climb outside.”

Editor’s Note: As of November 6, the trip has been postponed to a later date. Please contact Will Hoida, dean of students, with any further questions.