Filed under Campus, Community, News, Opinion

Opinion: Brett, Beers, and Bullsh*t

Voting critical to having voice heard

Zoe+Tuttle
Zoe Tuttle

Zoe Tuttle

Zoe Tuttle

On Oct. 6 Brett Kavanaugh was sworn as associate justice of the Supreme Court of the United States. This after not one, but three sexual assault-related allegations.

To summarize the order of events, when Kavanaugh’s name was shortlisted for nominees for the position of Supreme Court Justice, Christine Blasey Ford, a professor of psychology at Palo Alto University, contacted a Washington Post tip line, alleging that Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her while they were in high school.

Ford also reached out to her local congresswoman, Anna Eshoo. The allegation was then posted in a report in The Intercept. Following that report, California Sen. Dianne Feinstein confirmed the existence of a complaint against Kavanaugh from a women who said Kavanaugh had forced himself on her while she was restrained.

These events were just the beginning of what would become a whirlwind senate hearing. However, despite evidence provided in the senate hearing, Kavanaugh was still sworn in.

As a sexual assault survivor, and a woman, I am thoroughly disappointed in the current political environment.

We have a president who casually says derogatory statements against women, like “grab ‘em by the pussy,” or jokes about dating his own daughter, Ivanka. Now, we have a man sitting in the highest seat of power in the judicial branch, who was credibly accused of sexual assault.

There needs to be change.

The upcoming midterm elections will play a powerful role in the future of the U.S. government. There are 435 house seats and 33 senate states up for election. According to the New York Times, if Democrats want to take over the senate, they need to capture at least Arizona, Tennessee and Nevada.

As residents of Nevada, it is critical that we get out and vote, regardless of party affiliation. Nevada is a swing state and the vote in critical races will likely be close.

If you’re registered to vote in Nevada, it is crucial you know what and who you’re voting for. Up for reelection is Republican Sen. Dean Heller, who is running against Rep. Jacky Rosen for the seat currently occupied by Heller.

Heller voted in favor of Kavanaugh’s confirmation. That alone could be a very big selling point for Jacky Rosen, as many women are disappointed and hurt by the choice of Kavanaugh for Supreme Court Justice. Rosen publicly denounced her support for Kavanaugh, taking a stand in favor of women.

Zoe Tuttle

However, in current polls, Heller is doing better than Rosen. But the election could go either way. That is why it is critical that everyone who is able to, get out and vote.

SNC will be offering free shuttle rides from Patterson Hall to the voting polls on Nov. 6, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Zoe Tuttle is managing editor of the Eagle’s Eye.