Filed under Campus, News, Sports

Mixed results as SNC soccer seasons open

Sierra Nevada College’s Women's Soccer Team pictured after their first game of the season, against William Jessup University.

Photo credit: Aria Shahmirzadi

Photo credit: Aria Shahmirzadi

Photo credit: Aria Shahmirzadi

With school back in session and pre-season under their belts the SNC Men’s and Women’s Soccer teams are prepared to continue the 2018-2019 season strong.

“We know what we need to work on and

I am stoked to see how we grow and develop as a team this season,” freshman ODAL and entrepreneurship major and SNC Women’s Soccer player Malia Kellerman said.

Preseason wrapped up with records of 1-4 for the women’s team and 0-2 for the men’s team.

“We played really hard teams which forced us to

perform better and ultimately got us back in motion quicker,” junior psychology major and marketing minor and SNC Women’s Soccer captain, Brooklyn Morris said.

She believes the team will win more games, with playoffs in sight this year.

For the past two years the women’s team has missed playoffs by one game. A scandal at the end of the 2017-2018 season involving  a rival team having an illegal player could cost the SNC women’s soccer team an opportunity in playoffs.

This year they will continue with their past methods and set-ups on the field, adding a couple new techniques. For example, they have implimented a new wall for the goalie.

According to Morris, the 2018-2019 women’s captains create an environment that promotes that everyone on the team is equal and that their main purpose is to relay the coaches messages and keep the team bonded and positive.

“When we are getting better we assume so are other teams,” head men’s and women’s soccer coach and SNC athletic director Christian DeLeon said.

DeLeon went to work recruiting for the 2018-2019 season to create teams mixed with experience, leadership skills, and talent.

Many junior college and freshmen were recruited from Nevada to Central California, Chicago, Georgia, and Washington.

The men’s soccer team went from 19 players last season to 28 this season, the largest soccer squad in the four seasons since it became an SNC team sport.

Last year, a majority of the men’s soccer team were freshmen who are now flowing into this year with a season of experience.

Having spent many hours and days together, the men’s soccer team’s secret weapon to conquer their conference is their team chemistry developed in preseason and last season.

The men’s team’s goals are making “playoffs, going day by day, make top two, regional champs, then head to nationals,” junior marketing major and SNC men’s soccer captain Joao Mendes said.

The men’s team is working hard to overcome the one-point-losses from previous seasons.

Having recruited well this year and adding nine more players to the roster the men’s soccer team feels they have more experience and more chances to go far this year.

DeLeon is focusing on creating equal opportunities and support for all sports teams here at Sierra Nevada College. His goal is to have well-rounded student athletes.

According to DeLeon, teachers and staff have complimented the work ethic and effort put in by the athletes thus far in the school year, seeing higher GPAs already.

During recruitment he aimed for the “best quality athletes.”

Photo credit: Aria Shahmirzadi
Sierra Nevada College’s Men’s Soccer Team pictured after their first game of the season, against William Jessup University.