Ski business major a unique SNC offering

Students who live for winter snow and want to pursue a profession that aligns with their passion have a perfect major in the ski business resort management program at Sierra Nevada College.

“I have always grown up around skiing so why wouldn’t I want to go into a field on what I know most about,” sophomore Madalyn Johnson said. “I want to be a ski rep and this major will help set me up in the future to be successful.”

In the United States, there are only four colleges that offer similar degree programs. This unique major stands out for students who are interested in furthering their knowledge in the ski industry. It provides students with a hands-on education, learning current business practices used in the industry, and offers internship programs that place students at top resorts. Those experience often lead to jobs.

“The curriculum here fosters an amazing opportunity for personal growth while learning hands-on from industry experts, past and present,” junior Alec Mitchko said. “This style of learning paired with small class sizes and amazing faculty creates an unbeatable experience for anybody interested in the ski industry.”

Tim Cohee, is ski business and resort management program director and assistant professor at SNC.

“I have chaired the program since 2004, working with Kendra and now Justin to maintain our status as the nation’s premier mountain resort college education,” Cohee said. “This coming season will be my 40th in resort management, 26th as a CEO/owner.”

Cohee owns China Peak Resort, and for many years managed Kirkwood Mountain Resort. He is involved in both the National and California Ski Industry associations boards of directors.

“I have been laser-focused on what opportunities the industry has for me,” Mitchko said. “A long-term goal would to be an operational manager for either a ski resort or a brand such as Patagonia or K2. Also, there would be nothing more rewarding than using my knowledge to help a local business bring in customers and increase cash flow.”

The connections Cohee provides for students to get their foot in the door by inviting professionals in the industry to come speak, have been parlayed into jobs at Teton Gravity Research, Squaw Valley and Vail, among others.

“Being a small world in all, I was offered an internship with Fisher Ski Company, just because I went to SNC,” sophomore Madalyn Johnson said.

SNC is in the perfect location, surrounded by 13 ski resorts in the Tahoe basin, allowing students to have the opportunity to work at different resorts. While students can get more work experience and build connections later on when they graduate they will get hooked up with a job in highly-respected company.