Filed under News

2017-2018 SNC’s Eagle’s Sports Wrap-Up

With the end of the school year less than a month away, many SNC athletes are wrapping up their final competitions. The alpine racers recently faced a series of event cancellations March 15-29 at Alpine Meadows and Northstar, but were able to finish their season April 2-5 at Mammoth Mountain.

“The weather was awesome, snow conditions hard as a rock, and competition wide,” sophomore ski racer Luka Gobec said. “I am really happy with my podiums and it would not be possible without the huge support I’ve had from the rest of the team.”

SNC Lacrosse faces two more competitions this season: the first April 14, in Tahoe Vista against San Jose State, the second also in Tahoe Vista against Humboldt State on April 21. Men’s Lacrosse had a six-game stretch over the span of March. During this span, the Eagles played the #1, #2, #3, #8, #13, and #21 ranked teams in the nation.

“We played some of the best teams in the country to very close games in all of our losses,” head coach Matt Day said. “With a little more discipline and another month of hard work at home, we’ll be well-poised and battle tested by the time our conference (and hopefully national) tournament rolls around.”

The e men’s golf team traveled to Indio, Calif. on March 27 to compete in the Desert Intercollegiate hosted by Corban University. The event was almost cancelled due to 35 mph winds after the tournament committee said conditions were “nearly unplayable.” The SNC men battled against the wind and were able to secure a third- place finish. Sophomore Kevin Bishop led the team, finishing 15th overall. The golfers competed in the California Pacific Conference on April 9-10. Results were not available at press time.

Looking back to the fall, the women’s soccer team was once again one game win shy of the playoffs.

“That was heartbreaking for us,” said Athletic Director and Soccer Coach Chris DeLeon. “They had their best season yet and the women’s program is improving.” This was the first year DeLeon and Aria Shahmirzadi coached men’s soccer.

“Even though we got the team really late, we had good recruits,” DeLeon said.

“We took nationally ranked teams into double overtime, and the team that made it to the finals of the national championships we lost by only one goal.”

Cross country also received new recruits this year. Athletes from other programs stepped in to compete in cross country events. The winter sports teams, coached by student coaches, held their own.

“I think Freddy McCarthy, Elias Sturz, and Connor Clayton did really well in the position,” DeLeon said. “They all stepped it up and showed their true character by handling that much responsibility, and in return the teams came out on top.”

Although DeLeon is not yet releasing what sports he’d like to add to the school, he has made some proposals for the future.

“SNC is a non-traditional school, so I am looking at the possibility of adding non-traditional sports that t the area we live in,” DeLeon said. He is also looking at the possibility of the addition for more traditional sports as well. “With the people I’ve talked to so far, I’ve been getting a lot of positive feedback about my ideas.”

Photo Courtesy Luka Gobec