Writers in the Woods: Lynne Thompson and Indigo Moor

More stories from Nick Kearney

Photo Credit Rachel Lightener

Photo Credit Rachel Lightener

Sierra Nevada College’s February installment of the Writers in the Woods series offered attendees a taste of poetry, featuring accomplished poets Lynne Thompson and Indigo Moor, who performed readings on Friday, and led workshops Saturday.

Thompson the author of “Start With a Small Guitar,” and “Beg No Pardon” was born and raised in Los Angeles. Her poems reflect the history of that city, as well as her personal journey through life.

Moor is the poet Laureate of Sacramento and is also a playwright, actor and author. Three of his short plays “Harvest,” “Shuffling,” and “The Red and Yellow Quartet,” debuted at the 60 Million Plus Theatre’s Spring Playwright’s Festival.

The Writers in the Woods Literary Program has been featuring nationally and internationally acclaimed authors to present their work, and lead writers workshops since 1999, said June Saraceno, SNC English program chair and professor of humanities, poetry.

“The popularity of this literary series led to the name Writers in the Woods, a title that both SNC students, and the community could respond to, and identify with,” said Saraceno.

She said the program allows SNC students and the community to not only hear these acclaimed authors, but also interact with them. Workshops are usually focused on helping aspiring young writers create their own literary pieces of creative writing.

The program also focuses on bringing in individuals from a variety of backgrounds, and points of view that connect to SNC students and the community.

Thompson focused her reading on “Issues that haunt her,” poems that reflect on her inner feelings of being an adopted child.

“I really appreciated hearing the tone of her voice, her willingness to express what is in her heart meant a lot to me,” said Amit Paul, a senior creative writing major.

Paul says he learned with poetry you just have to be yourself, and speak through your inner being.

Thompson offered advice to aspiring authors in the room. “Make it your own. When creative thoughts come to your heart and mind don’t wait, write.”

Moor’s reading focused on a theme of “How I Got Here.” The reading portrayed the ups and downs of his life.

“I love being a part of this literary program because I am not just interacting with students,” he said. “I am conversing with future authors.”

Moor appreciates the commitment and dedication SNC has with respect to the arts, and he encourages aspiring authors to leave fear at the door. “No one will write what is in your heart as well you will,” he said.

“I think there are so many ways to write from your own experience that helps others understand not just about you, but the world,” said Shannon Beets, SNC executive vice president and provost.

On March 2-3, the Writers in the Woods Literary Program returns with American poet Lola Haskins. Her work has appeared in The Atlantic, Beloit Poetry Journal, The Christian Science Monitor, Prairie Schooner, The Missouri Review, Mississippi Review and other publications.