Students Win Big at SGA Casino Night, Fundraiser

Photo Credit Morgan Meadows

Photo Credit Morgan Meadows

Photo Credit Morgan Meadows

Morgan Meadows, Editor

Dressed to the nines and ready to win big, Sierra Nevada College students went all at the Student Government Association’s annual casino night on Feb. 1.

It was an occasion for food, non-alcoholic drinks and friends. SNC students were able to compete in traditional casino-style games like blackjack, roulette, and craps, without gambling away their entire college fund.

A buy in of $10 got $2,000 in chips, which, if played wisely, could be cashed in at the end of the night for raffle tickets for over $4,500 in prizes. Some prizes included tickets to see Afroman, a $500 Southwest gift card, an Apple Watch, and a new MacBook.

“The neat thing about casino night is that it’s for all levels,” Dean of Student Affairs Will Hoida said. “If you don’t know how to play, the dealers will coach you.”

Though amateurs were welcome, students feeling lucky had the chance to try their hand in the poker tournament. The winner of the tournament would take home a $125 pre-paid credit card and a new television.

“My favorite part was playing against, and beating, all of my friends,” tournament winner Tommy DiPaula said. SGA Vice President Eric Tanguay came in second place to DiPaula.

Historically, proceeds from the night have gone to a local charity of the SGA’s choice. “All the money we have left over is going to the Tahoe Safe Alliance,” Student Government Association President Nicole Ross said.

SGA has donated to Tahoe Safe Alliance, a non-profit organization that provides assistance to victims of sexual assault and domestic violence, for the last two years.

“I like watching the students have fun,” Ross said. SGA Treasurer Paul Wohlberg said that the event is “good for community bonding.”

SGA holds other events throughout the year.