High energy at the SNC talent show

The quality and quantity of talent wasnt the only thing that got the attention of the audience

Lily Luna Bennett grooving to the music with her Hula-Hoop

Carissa Priebusch

Carissa Priebusch

Carissa Priebusch, Editor

The beat drops, Ryan Stuebe and Andre De Lasana grab the entire audience’s attention with their free-flowing lyrics in an epic live rap battle on April 12 during Sierra Nevada College’s talent show. Stuebe and De Lasana, known for their friendly outgoing attitudes (but not your typical rap stars), had the crow clapping along and swaying to their beat.

More than a dozen acts entertained a jam-packed Patterson Hall for this year’s talent show put on by the Student Government Association and the music department.

The night was opened with a Jimi Hendrix melody by students Max Burgess on guitar and Max Hanrahan on the drum set. The show moved from guitars to Italian opera, sung by Angel Dwyer. After a few more vocal acts, Lily Luna Bennett had all eyes on her as she Hula-Hooped.

“It’s my only skill that know how to do in front of people,” Bennett said. She flowed with the beat, twirling her hoop. It was her first time preforming in front of a large group. “It’s my main passion, dancing with music.”

“My palms were sweating and I was shaking,” she said. “But once I got into it, I got more comfortable and confident.”

From the hoop, acts moved back to the microphone when Chris Harrison took the stage and got the entire crowd into his performance of “Here It Comes” by Shaman’s Harvest.

Moving from metal to hip-hop, Stuebe and De Lasana quickly became a crowd favorite with a freestyle rap performance. They started off with asking the audience for song beats to prove that they were coming up with their own lyrics from scratch, not pre-rehearsed.

Vilde Johansen convinced Stuebe to sign up the day before.

“I asked Dre to come up and freestyle with me because we freestyle all the time together,” Stuebe said. “I was stoked to perform. As soon as I got up on stage talking to people all the nervous jitters went away.”

Stuebe and De Lasana got the crowd riled up with their stage presence. “You just have to feel the energy of the beat and the crowd, then it just flows from there,” Stuebe said. “I noticed it was a friendly crowd, the room was really nice, and we all were just having a good time.”

SNC student Johnathon Soliz attended the show.

“The freestyle was fun to watch,” he said. “It was really cool that they everyone got into it and was clapping along.”

Next up was Cassy Tisak performing stand-up. Her jokes ranged from weed jokes to jokes about her and pictures of a dog. She got the crowd chuckling when she joked that she could finally breathe in the dorm halls because students were “turning over a NuLeaf,” an apparent reference to Inclince Village’s recently opened cannabis dispensary.

After a few jokes, the aptly named band Bong of Abraham came on the stage with homemade masks made of newspaper and cut up ski masks. Kevin Holmes and Burgess cranked up the volume up to 11 and rocked out.

Things slowed down with Anita Dee playing an original song she wrote about old folk tales her grandfather told her as a young girl. Dee is one of many acts that take music classes at SNC, from vocal lessons to learning to play guitar.

To close out the night, Max and the band hit the stage for one last number. A band full of musical talents on the drums, guitar, saxophone, bass and vocals showed the crowd what the SNC music program is all about.

Throughout the night each act was judged by three audience members. The scores were totaled and narrowed down to the top three. Harrison came in third, winning $100. In second, Max and the band, winning $250, and the crowd favorite winning the top prize of $500 was Stuebe and Lasana with their freestyle performance.

“I didn’t expect to win,” Stuebe said. “I had a blast up there, even if we didn’t win, we would have walked away just as happy.

“We just put down and had a good time.”