Faculty of the Fortnight: Dylan Silver

South Lake photographer is SNC’s new multimedia instructor

dive in Tahoe practices creativy for the Tahoe Clarity project Photo Courtesy

Courtesy Dylan Silver

Courtesy Dylan Silver

Morgan Meadows, Contributor

Dylan Silver has sailed across the Pacific, swam with sharks and repelled down massive waterfalls, but now he is facing his biggest challenge: college students. A new faculty member at SNC, Silver teaches multimedia journalism while simultaneously working on his graduate degree at the University of Nevada Reno. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism.

“I don’t consider myself especially qualified to teach,” Silver said. “But I am enthusiastic about journalism. I love to talk about it. I enjoy watching my students share with each other.”

Silver was inspired to take up journalism by a professor while attending College of the Redwoods in Eureka, California. There, he discovered a passion for storytelling. This passion has guided him through an exciting and impactful career.

“I wanted to make a difference and my professor talked about journalism in a way that made you feel you really had the ability to impact peoples’ lives,” Silver said.

Later, Silver’s grandfather suggested that Silver should go into teaching. Lucky for SNC, he listened. Silver also teaches a few journalism classes at UNR, but he enjoys the close knit community here at SNC.

“I like the school. I like that the classes are so small. Here it’s possible to work with each student directly, and personalize the learning experience,” Silver said.

While he isn’t inspiring students at SNC or pursuing his Masters Degree in Journalism, Silver works as a freelance journalist specializing in adventure and outdoor writing and photography.

“I’m what I call a backpack journalist,” Silver said. “I don’t believe you need ultra-fancy equipment to be good.”

While he attended San Francisco State University, Silver’s first work was published in the Golden Gate Xpress, but he has since been published in many platforms. Silver’s articles and photographs are found in the Tahoe Quarterly, Men’s Journal, Teton Gravity Research and other publications.

Silver has worked on numerous projects, from stand-up paddle board reviews to intimate pieces about isolated villages in Indonesia. His favorite work, however, is a multimedia piece he put together about a group of disabled workers who aim to clean up the downtown Reno area.

Silver is thirty-one years old, and currently resides in South Lake Tahoe. He is the creative mind the Tahoe Clarity project, a website that documents and shares the beauty of Lake Tahoe’s crystal clear water. He usually dives once or twice a week, year round, to photograph the underwater world of Lake Tahoe.

“I do it because of the color of the water. The clarity is so unique. Every time I go underwater I’m blown away,” Silver said.

Silver’s journey toward underwater photography was a slow one. He grew up swimming and surfing and became fascinated with the world that lies beneath the surface of the water. When diving in the lake, Silver finds everything from sunken forests to lost personal drones.

Sliver said, “It’s rare I’ll see a fish. Tahoe is different than diving in the ocean.”

In an ever-changing world, Silver emphasizes the role media plays in our day to day lives. He believes that the way we learn about journalism must be adapted to fit today’s society.

“It’s hard to overstate how much media is changing right now. People consume information in different ways. They’re not reading. They’re on social platforms,” Silver said. “It signals that in the future we’re not going to be doing what we’ve done in the past. It doesn’t make sense to teach an old model of Journalism.”

Though he has had an adventurous career outside of the classroom, he enjoys being able to share what he loves about multimedia journalism with others.

“I want to be involved with people that are interested in the same things that I am,” Silver said.