Budget breakdown

The Student Government Association (SGA) supports student interests and services through budget

Jamie Wanzek, Managing Editor

As the backbone for student engagement and creating communal activities at SNC, on every student’s’ academic bill, there is a $168 dollar fee paid to the Student Government Association (SGA). This activity fee collected at the beginning of every semester supports SGA’s budget and endeavours for students. SGA’s budget breaks down into five categories: SGA Development, SGA Initiatives, SNC Initiatives, SGA Club Funding, Green Council Initiatives and SGA Events.

“They just don’t plan dances. They don’t just fund club events. They have the full range of different aspects they support,” said Will Hodia Director of Student Activities & Outdoor Adventures.

As a voice and sounding board for the student body that facilitates the student’s needs, SGA supports both social events and interest based activities. To facilitate students, SGA is a student-ran association with a board made of 11 people; seven Executive Board members and four senators. The board consists of: Nicole Ross, the President, Kalen Daniels, Vice President; Eric Tanguay, Treasurer; Ty Casey, Secretary and Sustainability Chair Celine Holland, Eric Rohlwing, Director of Events, and Angel Dwyer, Director of Public Relations.

“(SGA) Involves many hours of editing and looking over excel sheets as well as constant communication with the other officer’s of the SGA board, our advisor Will Hodia and many other members of the faculty to process expenditures,” Eric Tanguay SGA Treasurer said.

To support students, SGA’s budget is reliant on student enrollment for each semester.

“It is often hard to set a concrete plan for the whole year because we do not receive the total of our funding at the start of the year, it comes in quite randomly throughout the year in quantities that are sometimes less than what we had anticipated,” Tanguay said. “This is simply because the registration fees of students come in at different times throughout the fall and spring.”

To most student’s understanding, the $168 activity fee supports dances and other campus events.

Although this fee and the layer of SNC it is paid toward are transparent, SGA plays a necessary role on campus that provides many services to students.

“My main responsibilities are to act as a liaison between the staff, faculty and the student body. I look for ways to make

things easier between these two bodies,” said Nicole Ross SGA President. “As a whole, SGA is a formal representation of the wants and needs of the student body. We’re here to make a better campus for everyone.”

The SGA budget supports many aspects of SNC students day-to-day life on campus.These services include: the paddle boards and mountain bikes available to rent, water bottle refill stations, and security cameras in the dorm buildings. These services to students are represented in the SGA and SNC initiatives of the budget.

“SNC initiatives are projects that SGA proposes and funds ourselves, while SNC Initiatives are proposed often by the development office or student affairs. They come to SGA to seek our help with funding,” Tanguay said.

SGA’s budget has also helped fund High Altitude passes for students ($90 for an entire school), and the campus counselor Kelly Root, free of charge. Annual Senior class gifts are also made available through SGA’s budget.

“We have to consider all private liberal arts colleges are struggling right now, so our directive is more towards the clubs and students,” Holland said.

The second largest piece of the SGA budget is club funds (27.3 percent). The Vice President, whose responsibility is student clubs, ultimately decides an amount of the budget to be allocated toward ‘club funds’– a pot of money specifically for clubs.

“Last year, more than any year I have seen in my 10 years they threw a ton of money at clubs which is really awesome. So this year, as much as possible, what they are continuing to do is support clubs,” said Hoida.

The Club funds support everything from student travel to conferences, and local events on campus.

“When a club needs to spend money, whether it be fundraised or contributed by SGA, they simply need to send us a proposal letting us know what they will be spending it on,” said Tanguay.

SGA meets every week on Wednesday in the Campbell Friedman building at 8:30 a.m. Meetings are open to the public and strongly encouraged by SGA for public attendance.