Cal-Pac Cross Country Recap

Sierra Nevada College takes part in conference championship in Fresno, California

Cross country athletes in Fresno, California

Uros Kogal

Uros Kogal

Rachel Ashley, Contributor

Ten excited runners piled into the Sierra Nevada College van, led by SNC’s newest addition, Slovenian coach Uros Kogal, on Oct. 15. Competing against nine other teams from Arizona and California, SNC’s cross country athletes put their training to the test. Unlike last year’s race in the rain, the 2016 Sierra Nevada cross country Eagles enjoyed beautiful weather in Fresno, California.

The men competed first, with Juan Luque taking first place for SNC and 40th overall with a time of 31:17:00 for the 8 kilometers run. All male runners are dedicated athletes at SNC, also members of the soccer team. Using their season of heavy conditioning from both cross country and soccer training, following Luque was SNC’s Steve Sandoval, Jose Arevalo, Chris Pulido, and Joao Mendes.

The energy was in the air as 69 women lined up at the start of their 5 kilometer run. The course looped the athletes on trails zigzagging through trees in Woodward Park, with gradual hills testing their limits. Annie Clements earned first place for SNC, 23rd overall, with a time of 21:27:90. Following was SNC’s Cora Brown, Sam Connaway, Emily Colby, and Allie Engberson. The athletes are happy to be back on campus where they’ll enjoy a few weeks of rest before they begin their training for the spring track season. “After seeing our success at the Cal-Pac Championship, my goal for next season is to qualify for nationals,” said Freshman Cora Brown.

“I’m excited to see our progress during spring training and I’m proud of how hard we’ve worked this fall,” said Freshman Victoria Woods. “I’m looking forward to competing in next year’s Cal-Pac Conference, we have a strong team that I believe will only become stronger as the recruitment phase continues.”

Kogal is confident about the team. “Considering I have started working with the SNC team in the middle of September and that we are short on runners, I’m very satisfied with what we did at the Cal-Pac championships,” said Kogal. “Those results filled me with enthusiasm for spring and especially for next year with new recruits. The top three teams from this year should keep an eye on us. I just want to express my gratitude to the men’s and women’s soccer team. It was a good day to be an Eagle.”