Beauty is in the hands of the creator

Senior Collyn Aubrey works with local brewery to inspire art in the community

“Stay Labeless” Art By Collyn Aubrey at Alibi Ale Works

Kyly Clark

Kyly Clark

Kyly Clark, Photo and Design Editor

Senior and fine arts major Collyn Aubrey organized a Halloween themed interactive art event for students and Tahoe locals on Oct. 30 at Alibi Ale Works, giving new and professional artists the opportunity to expose their artwork, while building and supporting an art community in North Lake Tahoe.

“I think it’s important to fight for a DIY movement in a world of mass production and consumerism,” said Aubrey.

Aubrey, a mixed media artist found inspiration in attending Truckee Thursdays, a local arts and crafts fair in the summer. She recognized the opportunity to offer art events in the offseason, and has organized six events since last fall with General Manager Kristi Thompson of Alibi Ale Works.

Aubrey’s vision is to encourage new artists’ confidence, as creators. She noted that gaining momentum in the art world can be a challenge, so she strives to make art accessible to both the artist and the consumer on a local level. The event is free to both the patrons and to the artists.

North Lake Tahoe local Michael Ballew has attended several events at Alibi to sell his ceramic art. “These art shows are a really good thing for both the artists involved as well as the customers of Alibi,” said Ballew. “People who are not normally exposed to art have the ability to see different kinds of it in a more relaxed setting, as most people don’t go out to seek art.”

Because of this month’s Halloween theme, Aubrey’s event did not include an interactive element, however past events have supported live painters, sculptors, musicians and jewelers. She also worked with Tailor Pollak, who created the “Paint and Pint” event at Alibi over the summer, teaching painting tutorials. With these successful art events, Thompson, Aubrey and Pollak worked together to make day long events.

“Anything that exposes the process of making art to the viewers is helpful education,” said Aubrey. “I’d like to see people become more one with the activity of creating for themselves.”

The community brings a diverse set of artistic skills, according to Aubrey, including ceramics, painting, photography and screen printing. She explains that many artists create art in environmentally conscious ways in Tahoe, a notion that she supports. Woodworker and photographer Dan Gaube, for example, showed a display of recycled materials with natural wood, abalone, gemstones and sea glass from his business “Art Naturally Speaking.” He commented that the feedback from viewers was great, but that there was little foot traffic.

Aubrey wants to continue to host art events at Alibi on the last Sunday of each month, with the hope that others who share the same vision will express interest in volunteering their efforts.

“I believe it’s necessary to rebel against mass production, to create and make things with your own hands and then use the things that you’ve made,” said Aubrey. “It’s kind of liberating and I hope that others will feel that too, even if it’s just using their own mug. I want to share that freedom.”

Thompson explained Aubrey’s involvement in the art community, stating that her determination and focus to make something happen is always followed through. Thompson looks forward to growing the event and featuring as many local artists as possible.

“These events have had a great response. The community, especially the SNC community, has really rallied to make these events successful, and this is a great way for some local artists to have a free spot to set up, feature and sell all their artwork,” said Thompson. “We like to keep these events interactive and have them working on something so that the spectator