Donald Trump wins presidency

An unpredicted outcome for the 2016 election, Trump was elected the 45th president of the United States

Jackson Heath, News Editor

After what many have felt to be the worst and most drawn out election cycle to date, the votes have been tallied and Donald Trump is the 45th President of the United States.

On Nov. 8, the election came down to the major candidates, Clinton and Trump. In what was projected to be a Clinton win by several percentage points, Trump won in what was believed to be an underdog win. It came down to the key states of Florida, Michigan, North Carolina and Pennsylvania, resulting in 289 electoral college votes to Clinton’s 218. On top of this, the Senate and the house was once again taken by the republicans with over 51 spots in the Senate and over 235 spots in the house of representatives.

Sierra Nevada College hosted an election night in what was described as a strange night to be an American voter. Throughout the night, both CNN’s live election as well as PBS were shown to give a fair and balanced view of the election as a whole. To help explain the politics, political scientist Paul Eykamp was present to help give students an understanding of what transpired. But even he stated that the results were quite a surprise.

“Nobody really understands this. There will be many dissertations written on this topic and we will have to wait four years to find out,” said Eykamp. “Both have been the most unpopular candidates ever in recorded polling history within the last century, where it became a race to see who was least hated.”

Some were left baffled with the election of Trump, but while it seemed improbable, Eykamp stated that the silent majority who have felt disfranchised found their voice in Trump.

“There is a really large population of people, mostly poorly educated white people who feel they have been screwed,” said Eykamp. “25 years ago, you had an expectation you graduated from high school and there would be a $40,000 or $50,000 factory job waiting for you with a pension and this disappeared and nothing came back to replace it.”

With these groups that felt underrepresented, the results spoke in a large turnout of voters for the real estate titan.

“They now have a candidate that is rallying the disaffected groups and they now have what many believe to be their first and last opportunity for a candidate who will voice their cause,” said Eykamp. “and I think everyone underestimated how many of them there were and were mad enough to ignore everything else and vote for Trump.”

While the reasons that can be pointed to Clinton doing well in the election include good temper, women’s issues, taxing the upper class and uniting the minority groups, Eykamp pointed to one thing that stuck out as the most valuable asset to her election.

“Hillary was doing well because Trump exists.”

With many excited at this win and others concerned, America will not know what Trump will bring until Jan. 20, when he will be officially sworn in to the White House as the new President of the United States.