Student Profile: Alec Ponce

Student athlete Alec Ponce

Student athlete Alec Ponce

Zoe Tuttle

Zoe Tuttle

Student athlete Alec Ponce

Zoe Tuttle, Contributor

Alec Ponce is a freshman lacrosse player who recently moved from Redding, California, to Lake Tahoe to attend Sierra Nevada College. He is known around campus as a true lover of music and Chubbie shorts.

What did you like about your life before SNC? 

I lived in Redding, the largest town north of Sacramento, where there’s a lot of mountains and rivers. As much as I liked the city areas, I loved how rural it was where I lived. In the past couple years of living there, I started to appreciate the landscapes and sunsets more. I actually liked the dry heat of the summers.

How has going to college at SNC changed who you are? 

I’m a lot more outdoorsy now. And I’m willing to get out and meet new people and do new things. Also I have more respect for the environment. This is a different place than where I grew up, so it’s definitely a change to get used to it all.

Why did you choose to play lacrosse at Sierra Nevada College? 

You can’t beat the area to play in, and the team has been doing well in the past couple years. I liked the coaches and the players on the team. The players are super nice, and they have a solid work ethic. They work like they’re Division 1 athletes. They put everything into practice and playing. We might not be as big and powerful as the Division 1 schools, but we probably work even harder.

What is your favorite sports team? 

I’d have to say the LA Kings, the hockey team. I love to watch hockey, and they were a team that was fairly close. I have some family in LA, so it made more sense to root for them than San Jose.

Why do you wear only Chubbies Shorts? 

Skies out, thighs out. I like tanning my legs. I only own Chubbies and jeans. They’re a great way for me to show off my manly legs and show off my personality. Shorts of a “normal” length feel too funky for me. I bought my first two pairs of Chubbies just last summer, but it will be a lifelong habit for me to buy them.

What is your favorite season of the year? 

I like fall because you can officially start looking like a bum, but it’s socially acceptable. I try to look like a bum during summer too, though. The color changing of the trees and leaves are really cool, and the first rains are pretty sweet. Also I like to see all the girls get their pumpkin spice lattes.

What drew you to music? 

My brother and I bought “Guitar Hero 3” when I was 12. Our dad would mimic the songs that we were playing on the game with his actual guitar. I wanted to connect with my dad some more, so I asked him to teach me how to play. He found me a guitar at a yard sale, taught me only three chords and then told me I was on my own. My favorite thing about making music is the creativity and endless choices you can put together. If it sounds good to you, that’s awesome.

If you could meet any musician, dead or alive, who would it be? 

I’d most definitely want to meet Jimi Hendrix because he was all about sounds. I’m all about sounds as well. I also wish I could meet David Bowie, Prince, Michael Jackson, and Quincy Jones. They were all very inventive and knew what they wanted in their songs. They made their ideas work wonderfully for them.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? 

I would like to own my own business. I think a chain business would be a really interesting business opportunity, especially because I don’t have a startup idea. I wouldn’t want to own something common like a McDonald’s. I’d want something fun and exciting. Also, I’d like two dogs, one of them to be stupidly large and the other to be a “shmedium” (small/medium) size. Also I see myself collaborating with Kanye West at some point.