Student Profile: Ebba Grant

Swedish skier awaits snowfall in her first season in Tahoe

Caroline Coughlin, Contributor

cc-ebbagrantAge: 21

Year: Sophomore

Major: Finance

Hometown: Stockholm, Sweden

Ebba Grant is an international student from Sweden and an Alpine skier recruited to the SNC ski team. Ebba is back for her second year of college in the US and was thrilled to return to the warm summer in Tahoe and enjoy all that it has to offer, while her and the ski team are waiting for the snow to fall.

How did you end up attending SNC and are you happy living here?

I’m here because of the ski team. I was recruited to come ski and there weren’t any other schools for skiing I was interested in. I feel like home here because it’s not that big. I feel like if it had been really big, with many students, that I would feel pretty lost. But it was really easy to like because it is small.

What is your hometown like?

Big. It’s Stockholm, Sweden so it’s a large city. Sometimes I miss the big city feel and it can be nice to go and be in a city after being here for a long time, just because there is more to see and do.

What are your friends like at home versus here?

That’s a hard one. My friends are pretty much the same, I hang out with the ski team here a lot and at home I was also hanging out with a lot of people who were ski racing because I went to Ski Academy for high school. So I don’t feel like there is a big difference between my friends.There is one girl here at SNC that I know who was also from Sweden, but I only knew of her a little bit because the ski world is not that big.

Is it hard being away from home and how was it making friends here?

No not really. I don’t feel like it’s that hard actually. I have the ski team so that is connecting me to a group of people. Otherwise if I wouldn’t have the ski team it would be harder to meet people, I think it’s easier if you get involved in something, that is the best way to make friends.

How long have you been skiing and where do you ski in Sweden?

Since I was 5 or 6 years old, something like that. Sweden is pretty flat, we don’thave that many mountains but I skied where I come from, Stockholm. It takes like twenty seconds to ski down the hill but whatever. So it’s better to ski here, I mean there are way more opportunities here than at home.

Do you see a future in skiing past college?

No, I think it’ll end after this. I’ll continue skiing but not ski racing just because I’ve done it my whole life and this is a good way to end it. But I like skiing for a college because at

home, skiing is an individual sport. When we go to Nationals, we work as a team not individually, so we travel all together and it is just more fun that way.

Do you condition during your off-season?

We actually started dry land today, lots of running! We start skiing at the end of October or the beginning of November in either Mammoth or Mt. Hood in Oregon, and then we ski until April and after that we have about a month off.

What do you like to do outside of skiing?

There is so much to do here besides skiing, like hangout by the beach! I liked summer here. Even though I went home, it was nice to get back because it was warm weather and time to just hang out and not do too much, maybe a little hiking and exploring. I live here with 5 girls from the ski team and it’s working out perfectly.

What made you pick your major?

I wasn’t sure before I came here what I wanted to do. The finance major was the one that I felt I was the most interested in. It’s a lot of economics and I like that because I’m not creative, so marketing would not work for me. I have no idea what I want to do with finance. I wish I knew, but I’ll do something in that type of field.e for a long time, just because there is more to see and do.