New Athletes: Free Skiing

Meet new free skiing athletes Cole Lyon & Gabby Dodd

Cruising the park at Sierra at Tahoe

Cruising the park at Sierra at Tahoe

Cruising the park at Sierra at Tahoe

Rachel Lightner, Opinion Editor

As the seasons transition at Sierra Nevada College, more and more students prepare to begin team sports. What started as a snow sport college has evolved into a diverse multi-sports team school, now offering snowboarding, free skiing, alpine skiing, cross country, soccer, golf and lacrosse. With each added sport, new faces appear on campus. Here are some of the new athletes on campus.

Cole Lyon

Lyon competing in USASA Nationals

Lyon competing in USASA Nationals

For Freshman Cole Lyon, Tahoe is a familiar place. Growing up in South Lake, he calls the Sierra Nevada Mountains his home. When it came to choosing a college, SNC was tucked away in the same mountains he was raised and was a place where he could continue his passion as a free-skier and obtain a degree at the same time.

“I chose SNC because it was the only school where I could ski pretty much every day and still get my education,” said Lyon.

The unique location of SNC allows students to attend class and take a few laps at the mountain in the same day, an amenity most skiers and snowboarders here are thankful for. Lyon has been skiing the resorts of Tahoe since he was two, and looks forward to playing at some of the same mountains where he has skied his entire life.

“I plan on getting passes to Mammoth, Sierra at Tahoe, Boreal, Northstar and Diamond Peak, basically everywhere,” said Lyon.

Having competed in freeskiing events for the last five years, he wanted to continue through his college years. Lyon previously competed in Rev Tour and the Aspen Open.

“I love competing, and I can’t wait till the snow falls and resorts open so I can compete. There’s some cool people on the team, and I’m looking forward to this season!” said Lyon.

Dodd caught in a rare pre-shred moment

Dodd caught in a rare pre-shred moment

Gabby Dodd 

Skiing runs deep as a tradition among most families in Durango, Colorado. For Gabby Dodd, this statement rings true. Since age three, Dodd has been on two planks. Her passion for skiing lead her to SNC, where she could continue to follow her love for skiing on a new level.

“Skiing was my number one influence to come to SNC. It was the only place I felt like I could get a degree and ski at the same time,” said Dodd. “I feel that this was a school that really matched my interest. It’s in the mountains but it’s away from home, and most importantly, I get to ski everyday.”

Although Dodd has spent many years riding in the park, this will be her first time competing in free skiing. She looks forward to being on a team, and having the support of teammates to improve her skills.

“I’m stoked to be on a legit team and compete for SNC. It’ll be really fun to give it a chance. I really want to improve my skiing this year, and I think competing in park will help that.”

With ski resorts surrounding the entire lake, it’s hard not to be excited about the endless spots to ride. Dodd, who is used to her tiny home mountain Purgatory in Durango, is stoked to experience skiing at new locations.

“I’m excited to ski new resorts and get out of Colorado for a bit and ski somewhere I’ve never skied before. This season is going to be incredible!” said Dodd.