Alex Scott explores emotion through self-portrait

Senior Alex Scott presented his BFA exhibition entitled “Adored” on Thursday, April 7, from 5 to 7 p.m. in the Tahoe Gallery. Students, faculty and community members all embraced Scott’s work. His show represented heroes from his childhood in self portrait form. His exhibit displayed 16 photos with himself as the main subject.Photo by Danny Kern | Alex Scott talks about the meaning behind his work at his BFA show. The show included “b-roll” and portraits of Scott.

“I feel that the opening went quite smoothly.  I’m just glad I didn’t choke when I was presenting my talk,” said Scott.

Scott’s work drew on emotion and identity using the medium of self-portrait.

“I had never seen any of Alex’s work before, but I was intrigued by how personal some of the photos were and appreciated the willingness he had to show vulnerability,” said Senior April Agranof.  

“I love the topic of figuring out who you are. A lot of people aren’t willing to discuss the uncertainty and the humanity behind that. I also thought the characters he was emulating were entertaining to see.”

Artists typically have a deeper message in their work, but it doesn’t have to be so personal. Scott directly related his work to himself and his past. In his artist talk he described starting photography as something he pursued to become closer with his dad.

“This series was the first time that I’d ever chosen self portraits. It’s unnerving trying to emulate your heroes.  You want to do them justice and not just enough to get by,” said Scott.

Photo by Danny Kern | Alex Scott talks about the meaning behind his work at his BFA show. The show included “b-roll” and portraits of Scott.