Staff Editorial: A small, student-run paper

“This photo says Mary doesn’t go to SNC anymore because of financial aid cuts. I’m in class with her though,” my sister says holding a freshly printed newspaper. I take the paper and stare at the mislabeled cutline. I’m disappointed to see we’ve misrepresented a student and misinformed readers.

There are positive and negative sides to being a small, student-run newspaper. A positive side is that we are given the opportunity to voice our opinions and cover important news happening in our community. A negative side is that, unlike most classes we will take in college, a mistake made in our editing class is seen by over 4,000 people in North Lake Tahoe.

Although we receive guidance from our professor, there is no third party overseeing our work before it is submitted for publishing.

This brings us back to the photo of Mary Deutsch. How can mistakes like this mislabeled cutline be avoided in the future? At the beginning of each semester all Eagle’s Eye reporters and editors sign the Student Media Policy which asks that we produce an accurate newspaper. We also read and agree with the Society of Professional Journalists’ Code of Ethics, agreeing to abide by its guidelines.

We do our best to meet these standards, but every production night brings on new challenges that come with being a small, student-run publication. As an editing staff of five, we spend several hours proofreading, fact-checking and designing pages for print. A three-hour class can easily become six hours or longer. We drink a lot of coffee and eat a lot of pizza.

Although it sounds brutal, we are grateful for the professional experience we are gaining, and by the end of the semester our class has spent more time together than most. We brainstorm and work through kinks such as missing photos or missed deadlines, and we learn from our mistakes.

In over a year we have become like a family on campus, and like all families, we have to take the good with the bad.

We are constantly meeting to discuss how to improve the Eagle’s Eye. How can our system flow more smoothly? How can we better represent the students and teachers at our school? How can we diversify our content?

Each of these things are important to us, and as we move forward our goal is to improve the quality of the Eagle’s Eye while continuing to serve as a voice in our community.