What kind of president do we need now?

Out with the old and in with the new. Lynn Gillette has left his post and the highest leadership position of SNC and the six-figure salary that accompanies it is currently vacant.

This transition is occuring at a period of great growth for SNC, and the previous leadership advocated for great expansion to our college. But is that what we really want? Do you want to see this beautiful campus slowly crowd with more students as the master plan is completed?

The presidency has historically been filled by people of very dynamic views. Sustainably minded men like Ben Solomon once led this small liberal arts school in a relatively humble manner, while our last president viewed sustainability with a strictly economic mindset. Odds are that the the SNC Board of Trustees will lean toward the latter end of the spectrum in its current search. Growth is good, apparently.

The board should pay special attention to the backbone of this institution in their search for a new president. This backbone is made of of the students and faculty who give SNC its soul and personality.

We need a president who can keep SNC out of the red and at the same time maintain the simple qualities that make this college so unique: Its small size, beautiful campus location, enthusiastic teaching staff, and mindfully progressive attitude.

We need a president who can raise funds without constructing a house on campus, and knows how to use those funds to benefit the students first.

We need a president who can spearhead more equitable wages for our professors, who are currently overworked and under paid.

We need a president who embodies all four core themes of SNC equally and values every department and opportunity this school has to offer.