Acclaimed beat poet Patricia Smith offers phenomenal poetry

At about eight years old, Patricia Smith realized there was nothing she wanted to do more than write. Everyone is exposed to poetry in different ways, Smith was introduced by performance rather than a journal or a book.

Writers in the Woods ended for the semester Saturday, April 27 with distinguished Poet Smith. The room was filled with community members and students waiting to hear the four-time national slam champion read her work.

Smith had poems of all subjects and many of them stemmed from past events or conversations that she would imagine. She referred to a map that she had drawn during the workshop to set up a poems from her home town.

“Don’t tell a poet anything because they will write about it,” said Smith about a poem that was inspired by a conversation she had with a friend.

Smith read over a dozen poems and the mood ranged from sad to hilarious, which kept the audience captivated with her unique style. Each poem came to life as she voiced the words to the audience with emotion and personality.

“It was powerful, she is a master of her craft,” said Sophomore Logan Garrison.

Smith gave life to every poem she read by reading different lines louder or in a different voice.

PATRICIA SMITH hosted the Writers in the Woods series on April 27. Smith is an acclaimed beat poet, and read her poems to the crowd.

“Whenever you hear a poet read their work it is amazing,” said Sophomore Emily Provencher.

The talented poet suggested to the audience that they keep an eye out for story ideas because they are everywhere, especially the National Enquirer.

“Take a funny headline and write a poem, people will think ‘oh she’s deep’,” said Smith.

The audience was amazed by the end of the night at her ability to memorize a poem and perform it. Smith is set apart from other poets because of her ability to perform her poems rather than just recite it.

Provencher said it was an honor to listen to her read.

Smith will be the visiting writer for the 2013-2014 school year, she can be found on the fall schedule under ‘Smith DeSilva’.

Classes Patricia Smith will be teaching

ENGL 206: Intro to Fiction Workshop

ENGL 288: Intro to Poetry Workshop

ENGL 306: Fiction Workshop

ENGL 380: ST Spoken Word Poetry

ENGL 388: Intermediate Poetry Workshop

ENGL 406: Advanced Fiction Workshop

ENGL 488: Advanced Poetry Workshop

1 Comment

One Response to “Acclaimed beat poet Patricia Smith offers phenomenal poetry”

1. Professor Patricia Smith wins major book award | Humanities and Social Sciences Department on October 4th, 2013 1:50 pm

[…] the Eagle’s Eye article about Patricia Smith, published May 2, 2013, by student Samantha […]