Stopping time with photography

Senior Cami Holmes shares her birthday with her photography focused Bachelor of Fine Arts show at 5 p.m. on April 25 in the Tahoe Gallery, located on the third floor of Prim Library.

“I’m really excited. It’s a sign of ‘hey, it’s time to graduate’,” said Holmes.

The title of the show, “A Physicality of Time,” is related to Holmes’s idea of photography stopping time.

“Everyone knows time as a constant, there’s no changing it. Photography interrupts it, photography stops it or freezes it,” said Holmes.

The photos that will be in the gallery capture moments in nature.

“Normally when I take photographs I’m very, very far away, but with this show I’m very, very up close with it,” said Holmes. “I’m getting very physical with my subjects or the things I photograph.”

Each photo is unique to a specific moment that Holmes’s has captured before it is no longer there.

“I try to capture these moments that most people will see, but don’t recognize the significance,” said Holmes. “Like a wave on a beach, it’s never going to be same no matter how many come after.”

This reflects the forward thinking direction of Holmes, and she stated she doesn’t like to edit her photos.

“I don’t like to change colors or add effects. I want them to be as close to natural color as possible. Nature produces these gorgeous, amazing color gradients that are impossible to capture.”

Photos will be displayed in a variety of sizes and be grouped in a way that all the photos related to each other as a group as well as stand as an individual photography.

“I’ve always been passionate about photography,” said Holmes. “I’ve known I wanted to be a photographer since I was 7 or 8 years old.”

Holmes loves every aspect of photography and hasn’t stopped her curiosity since she first picked up her dad’s film camera.

“I took my dad’s old black and white film camera and learned how to work it on my own, started taking pictures and developing them. I kept going from there,” said Holmes.