Filed under Community, Outdoor

Early Closing For Tahoe Ski Resorts

Early Closing For Tahoe Ski Resorts

Warm temperatures and a lack of snow since January has resulted in earlier resort closings than usual for most Lake Tahoe ski resorts. As compared to past seasons, some locals are calling this “the season that never was.”

Tahoe Donner Ski Resort was the first Lake Tahoe-area resort to close, stopping operations on April 2, followed by Diamond Peak Ski resort, which closed on April 7. Next came Boreal Mountain, Heavenly Lake Tahoe Resort, Northstar California, and Sierra at Tahoe, all of which stopped operations on April 15. Mount Rose Ski Tahoe will be the next resort to stop operations, with a tentative closing date of April 21.

“I think this season was all right as far as snowfall compared to last season, although I’m bummed about how fast it went. Hopefully, we will see more snow next season, and resorts will stay open
longer. As for now, with temps rising, I’d say I’m pretty stoked for summer,” said Junior and Northstar employee Corey Nuss.

However, despite an unusual dry season that lasted through February, Lake Tahoe ski resorts benefited from a series of March snowstorms that will extend the season for some. Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows, which are owned jointly, announced on their website that they will both remain open through April, conditions permitting. Both Squaw and Alpine are scheduled to remain open daily for skiing and riding through April 21, while Alpine Meadows will continue weekend skiing and riding through May, after stopping weekday offerings, weather permitting.

“Even though it sucks resorts are closing, I got 105 days in this season, so considering how many days I got to ride, I’m pretty content. Besides, I still have Squaw and Alpine to shred for a while,” said Brad Flora, senior and Ski Business Resort Management Major.

Despite end of season woes, resorts have been partying in preparation to close down for the season. Northstar held its annual end of season Pond Skim, where contestants were judged based on best costume, best splash, best skim, style and bail. Red Bull hosted its annual Red Bull Schlittentag at Alpine Meadows, where three person teams attempted to build homemade sleds, project them off a jump, and survive. Squaw Valley held its famous Retro Ski Day, where participants could ski along side Jonny Moseley, former Olympian and World Cup mogul skier.

“I don’t know of anyone who is stoked the season is coming to an end, however, all seasons must come to an end eventually. All we can do is enjoy the summer, and hope for more snowfall next season,” said Sophomore Andrew Hardy.