Blue Bunny takes a spot at clay conference in Houston, Texas

Senior Molly Allen was selected out of 502 submissions to be a part of the 47th annual National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts (NCECA) student show.

Allen’s piece that was accepted into the show is an aqua colored ceramic bunny grabbing its skin and contemplating its purpose.

NCECA is being held in Houston, Texas from March 20-23 and invites artists of all ages, from all over to make connections with fellow artists and graduate professors.

“Sierra Nevada College has been attending NCECA, and having a table to distribute information about SNC, since 1998,” said Art Department Chair Sheri Leigh O’Connor.

Seven SNC students are attending the 2013 NCECA conference along with O’Connor and Assistant Professor of Fine Arts Rick Parsons.

“The National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts is a dynamic organization that fosters global education and appreciation for the ceramic arts. NCECA’s programs, exhibitions, publications, opportunities and resources inspire advancement of the field,” according to the mission statement on the NCECA website.

Sophomore Flor Widmar, president of Clay Club, has been to NCECA five times during her time at SNC.

“You get something different every year,” said Widmar. “You don’t really know what you’re going to get. You don’t really know if you’re going to be completely taken away by everything or what ideas you’re going to come back to the studio with.”

This year Allen submitted an online portfolio, which included two works of art, an artist statement and an entry form when she applied for the NCECA student show. She received her acceptance letter in November 2012.

“The physical piece is in the 2013 NCECA student show,” said Allen, “so everyone that goes to the conference and even outside people can see it in that gallery.”

Former SNC undergrad, Nick Geankoplis, was accepted into the NCECA student show in 2008. He graduated SNC in 2011. He is currently attending Alfred University in New York as a graduate student.

“We’re thrilled that another SNC student has been juried into this very prestigious, highly competitive, national exhibition. Nick Geankoplis was in it when he was a student at SNC,” said O’Connor. “Molly is very talented, and will surely be successful in her artistic pursuits.”