Filed under News, Sports

SNC Ski and Snowboard Teams Slay at National Championships

Congratulations to all members of the Ski and Snowboard teams for all of their accomplishments during the National Championships.Overall champions in Alpine Skiing and Men’s Snowboarding.

Women’s Ski Race team

Sierra Nevada College women’s ski team took this year’s first national title on March 5 in Sun Valley, Idaho.

Matea Ferk and Johanna Tikkanen went first and second in the Giant Slalom, getting SNC off to strong start at the 2013 United States Collegiate Ski and Snowboard Association National Championships.

For women’s Giant Slalom first place went to Matea Ferk, second place to Johanna Tikkanen, fifth to Caroline Klaesson, seventh to Emilie Lamoureux, 10th to Melissa Daniels.

Ferk’s winning time was 2:06.38, followed by teammate Tikkanen at 2:06.47. SNC’s Caroline Klaesson was fifth at 2:07.92 to give the Eagles the team title in the GS.

Women’s Slalom

With a team time of 4:38.31 the SNC women’s ski team took the national title in Slalom. This allowed the team to successfully defend its national championship title.

Melissa Daniels placed second with a time of 1:32.03, just seconds behind Eloise Julliand from Rocky Mountain College, who clocked in with 1:28.87 taking first.

Fellow teammates Johanna Tikkanen and Tea Palic placed fifth and sixth respectfully with times of 1:33.12 and 1:33.16.

Men’s Ski Race Team

The SNC men’s race team snagged the National Championship title in GS on March 6, defending its title.

Luca Ricou with a time of 2:03.46 placed second, followed by teammate Jaka Jazbec with a time of 2:04.70 placing him third. Viking Roald set a time of 2:06.43 putting him into sixth place. The men placed second in their Slalom race.

Freestyle Skiing

Both men and women Freestyle Ski teams placed second in Halfpipe. For the men’s team Alden Spence placed 10th, followed by Kyle Murphy in 11th and Hollis Lee placed 19th. Katie Souza placed first with teammates Kim Smith and Rebecca Roberts placing fourth and eighth for the women’s team.

The women’s Freestyle Ski team placed second and the men’s placed third in the Slopestyle competition. Roberts took first followed by Souza in fifth for the women’s team.

Spence placed third followed by Lee and Murphy in 16th and 17th, respectfully. The teams strongest skier Jason Arens unfortunately had to leave the night before freestyle skier Slopestyle to judge a competition at Northstar.

Skier Cross

SNC Skier cross teams placed eighth for the women and 11th for the men.

Freestyle Snowboarding

Both men and women Freestyle Snowboard teams placed second in Halfpipe. Second place went to Ashley Vander Meer followed by Jenise Spiteri in fourth. Kelsey Madro and Rebekah Ashely placed sixth and 10th respectfully.

For the men’s team Marco Gooding placed fifth with Armeen Pirouz, Tom Letson, Danny Kern following in eighth, ninth and 10th, respectfully.

Snowboard Slopestyle was just as successful with both men and women teams placing first.

Vander Meer placed first for the women’s team followed by Spiteri and Ashley in fifth and eighth.

Pirooz took second with teammates Letson, Kern and Gooding following in fifth, sixth, and 10th.

Boarder Cross

SNC men’s snowboarders took first place in boarder cross. The women placed third. Austin Leal finished first followed by Kern, Gooding and Cameron Colenda taking fifth, seventh, and eighth.

Snowboarding GS

For more results visit the USCSA webpage.