Letter to the Editor: Thank you Sierra Nevada College

Thank you SNC students, staff and faculty for being so considerate and quiet during our science education tours and student field trips in the science education center (officially named the UC Davis Thomas J. Long Foundation Education Center) on the first floor of the Tahoe Center for Environmental Sciences (TCES) building.

SNC has had a great partnership with UC Davis since the shared TCES building opened in 2006. The UC Davis
Tahoe Environmental Research Center(or “TERC”) operates the science education center on the first floor and has laboratories and offices on the third floor of TCES. Our partnership gives us the opportunity to share the building, rooms, labs, and to collaborate on special events. Many SNC students have also been employed by TERC as interns during the academic year and summers.

TERC hosts many visitors from around the world that come to learn about the natural history and environment of Lake Tahoe. Our goal is to teach visitors and students about the science and research conducted here and what they can do to save the lake. Public tours occur Tuesdays through Fridays from 1 – 5 p.m. (usually lasting about 1 hour) and field trips for local students occur on many Tuesdays and Thursdays between 8 a.m.– 2 p.m. (usually lasting about 3.5 hours)
You may have noticed the new “quiet” sign that indicates that a tour or field trip is in session. Thank you for your cooperation. The first floor lobby and stairwell area has been designated a quiet area. Your consideration in keeping cell phone and other conversations quiet and brief, or moving to another area such as the lounge area, helps ensure that visitors have a successful science education center tour.

We would love to give you a tour of our science education center so you can learn more about the science of the lake you know and love. Please come by for a tour anytime during our regular hours or contact Heather Segale at 775-881-7562 orhmsegale@ucdavis.edu with comments or suggestions. Thank you so much for your understanding in this matter.

-Heather Segale, UC Davis TahoeEnvironmental Research Center